Re: [beekeeping] Digest Number 224

  • Rlgriggs01@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 24, 2002
      Dear friend beekeeper:
      If I had a small amount of honey, I would probably heat it a little
      warmer than the 120 degrees that you mentioned, say 135 degrees. Bottle the
      honey soon, then cool it. The length of time it is warm or 'hot', might tend
      to darken it some.
      I do not own a colony of honey bees now, but owned around 900 colonies,
      which were located on a little more than 30 locations, in Western Iowa, when
      I sold out, in 1974.
      Being retired, I may have more time to answer questions for you than
      active Apiarists would have.
      You have surely heard of the 'bee mites' that now infest honey bee
      colonies? I had never heard of them when I sold out, but during the years I
      operated honey bees, I had a lot of experience with American Foul Brood,
      which became controlled with the use of drugs.
      I claim to know nothing about the control of the 'bee mites'.
      Our first year of producing more than 100,000 pounds of honey was 1941,
      which figured out to be a little more than one thousand nine hundred forty
      one, filled 5 gallon cans.
      Mary, my wife since 1938 was generally the 'honey house' boss, during the
      honey extracting season. We built the honey house in 1944.
      I could probably spend a whole day writing about our trials and
      tribulations, but I know that reading e-mail can be boring, so will bring
      this to a close.
      As you must know, our Florida, e-mail address is: rlgriggs01@...
      Our summer, Iowa e-mail address is: rgriggs@...
      From Russell and Mary Griggs, 751, 10th. St. E., Palmetto, Fl. 3422l