After extracting..then what?

  • barbmiller.rm
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 23, 2002
      Hello beekeepers!
      Coming out of lurkdom here to pose a few questions to all of you.
      Last year was my first for selling honey. I extracted and filtered
      into a 5 gallon plastic bucket fitted with a honey gate. After a few
      days, the honey went into pint mason jars for sale. The honey
      crystallized in the jars rather quickly - something I would like to
      avoid next year. I've read about the fridge with a light bulb and
      that's not feasible right now. From doing a search on Bee-L, I know
      that I can heat the honey to 120 F. and hold it for 24 hours. Can I
      buy a heat belt from say, Dadant and just heat it in the plastic
      bucket? Please.... help this struggling beekeeper out and give her
      some ideas on what to do......
      Sincerely,
      Barb Miller
      N. Central PA
    • Joel Govostes
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 23, 2002

         Better to heat the honey rapidly and not expose it to heat for such a long time, I think.  Liquefy the honey and remove it from the heat a.s.a.p.

        A hot water bath will liquefy honey either in the jars or in a pail.  Just get a big pot, that the bottom of the pail will fit into.

        Put a couple small blocks or strips of wood at the bottom of the pot, to keep the pail raised up a little.  Add as much water as you can, and turn on the burner to low-medium heat.  Once the water heats up, just keep it barely simmering.  Stir the honey in the pail frequently, to distribute the heat, until it's all liquefied.   The honey will remain liquid for several weeks or months after this treatment.

        If you're warming the jars, loosen the lids a little while they're in the hot water bath.  Then tighten them when the honey is all liquified and you remove them from the water.

        Joel near Ithaca (not far away!)

          "barbmiller.rm" <barbmiller@...> wrote:

        Hello beekeepers!
        Coming out of lurkdom here to pose a few questions to all of you.
        Last year was my first for selling honey.  I extracted and filtered
        into a 5 gallon plastic bucket fitted with a honey gate.  After a few
        days, the honey went into pint mason jars for sale.  The honey
        crystallized in the jars rather quickly - something I would like to
        avoid next year.  I've read about the fridge with a light bulb and
        that's not feasible right now. From doing a search on Bee-L, I know
        that I can heat the honey to 120 F. and hold it for 24 hours.  Can I
        buy a heat belt from say, Dadant and just heat it in the plastic
        bucket?  Please.... help this struggling beekeeper out and give her
        some ideas on what to do......
        Sincerely,
        Barb Miller
        N. Central PA

        Do You Yahoo!?
        Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail.

      • Joel Govostes
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 23, 2002

          Or...make creamed honey.  The honey from this region, which granulates pretty hard, is ideal for this.

          The easiest and best way is to let your honey granulate solid in the pail.  Then cut out slabs of the honey and feed them through a household electric meat grinder.  As it comes out of the grinder, it goes directly into the jars.  Store them in a cool place afterwards.  Or you can store them in a freezer until needed.

          The resulting creamed honey is just delicious -- I, and many customers, far prefer its flavor and consistency to that of liquid honey.  It is smoother than what you can get from the Dyce Process or seeding!  Even people who say they "don't like honey" love this stuff.  It is like candy.  And easier to measure or spread than liquid honey.

          The US is probably the only place where customers "expect" their honey to be clear and liquid.  Granulation is natural and so why not just use it to your advantage?

          Have fun...

          jg

[...]

        • Karen Oland
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 23, 2002
            Granulation depends on the floral source. I have a couple of jars of 2 year
            old honey with no signs of granulation yet. never heated, only strained
            through clean nylon.

            To help prevent granulation, make sure you (1) strain out big "stuff" when
            extracting, using a stainless steel strainer (I use two sizes). Then, (2)
            filter the honey through a clean piece of nylon (I buy it at a fabric
            store). Not too large or too small (you'll have to experiment here), you
            want to get any really large particles out, but don't mind pollen staying
            in. And (3) don't store it where the temps are in the 50's - either freeze
            the bucket (or jars) or keep around room temperature.

            Although I also like creamed honey, many US consumers are confused by it
            (even more by honey in the comb, which they can't figure out what to do
            with).

            K Oland

            PS. Joel - thanks for the directions. I may try that this year, although
            I'll have to seed my honey and control the temps to force granulation.