Re: drugs

  • Leslie Walton
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 27, 2001
      --- In beekeeping@y..., jleeper@q... wrote:
      > I'm using Miteathol (sp?) vs. Apistan for the first time this
      fall.
      > What experience have people had?

      To measure the effectiveness of Mite-A-Thol requires lab work. The
      trachea mites are microscopic. Varoa mites, on the other hand, can
      be seen with the naked eye and are about the size of a period in
      normal size text. I have gone to alternating every other year
      between Apistan and Coumaphos (Bayer Strips). Some people apply
      Apistan spring and fall. I am applying Apistan or Coumaphos in the
      fall only. I am hoping this protocol will help minimize mite
      resistance to the chemicals.
      You need to use Mite-A-Thol in the fall AND either Apistan or
      Coumaphos. I also apply syrup medicated with Fumidil B both spring
      and fall and grease patties with Terramycin in the spring only.