Re: winterizing hives

  • jleeper@qwest.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 8, 2001
      I forgot to mention that there is a black insulated 'wrap' material
      (actually plastic & foam) that you can put around your hives,
      stapling or duct taping (thank the duct tape gods) it in place.
      Personally, I find that product to be a total hassle. By the end of
      November when I wrap my colonies, I'm pretty much in the mood for a
      simple & quick close to the beekeeping year. I've found the black
      cardboard boxes to be well worth the money. You just want to pull
      them off early enough in the spring so that they don't get overly
      wet, or if you hit some really warm days in the spring and the wax
      coating starts to melt. With proper care you should get a number of
      winters from them.