RE: [beekeeping] Marking the queen

  • LEW BEST
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 4 4:04 PM

      Hey Howie

      I’ve heard of folks using Testors model paint; bad thing bout nail polish imho would be color (of course blue nail polish may be available?) but there are specific colors for each year.  BTW have you seen the new queen holder that Brushy Mtn has for holding queens to mark them?  Looks good but would like to hear from someone that has used one.

      Lew

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 4 6:55 PM
        --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Kelly" <yomo1@s...> wrote:

        > The only thing with using white out, it doesn't give you a color
        > code, so in a year or two, you won't know how old your queen is.
        >
        > --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "Sharon Lee" <lockha885@c...>
        > wrote:
        > > In our Beekeeping classes we were told of using the White Out
        that
        > > folks use in letters for marking Queens, and it isn't supposed to
        > rub
        > > off or wear off either.
        > > Just a suggestion and it is a cheap product to buy too.
        > > Sharon
        > > I hadn't thought of that, and that my be why I am a Novice and
        others on this forum are more experienced, and less likely to make
        these same mistakes. LOL
        Thanks for the comment and I will remember it, when and if I ever
        have to mark a queen.
        Sincerely,
        Sharon

        > > --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "Scot Mc Pherson" <scot@l...>
        > > wrote:
        > > > Is it really worth the saving from buying queen marking
        > paint/pens?
        > > >
        > > > --
        > > > Scot Mc Pherson
        > > > The Mc Pherson Family Honey Farms
        > > > Bradenton, FL USA
        > > > http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org
        > > >

        > > > . ` , ` '
        > > > .,';`,. ``. '.
        > > > _/^\_ :;.,';`'.,` `., ' '`,
        > > > /_____\ .:.,"'`
        > > > /\_____/\ .,:`'"
        > > > \###/.,';`

      • Howie Phillips
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 5 8:30 AM
          This sounds like a usable idea. As far as the color coding goes, the
          commercial product is now produced in some colors. Also, a drop or two of
          food color in a bottle of white would probably do the job.

        • dickbeekeeper
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 5 11:18 AM
            When bees are alarmed an odor similar to that of bananas can often be
            detected by beekeepers. But, does that mean the odor of bananas is going to
            elicit defensive behavior in honey bees? It is unlikely in my opinion. Simply
            because something smells like a banana does not mean it contains alarm
            pheromone. Alarm pheromone is quite a complicated mix of chemicals. It still
            isn't completely understood. Try this sometime. Go out to a hive with a banana
            (or several). Peel them, wave them around, place them in or around the hive.
            You will very likely see no disturbance among bees at all, unless of course
            you are waving wildly in the air, etc. I've tried it in the past and saw no
            different behavior in the bees. Or do this, paint a few drones with paint
            containing banana oil. See what happens. I suspect any paint containing
            banana oil will make no difference in the hive at all, but that's just my opinion.

            Regards,
            Dick Allen