Confining bees

  • mws@frontiernet.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2005
      "Warren" <ncflytyer@...> wrote:

      I plan to contain the bees the day before and release
      them the day after the treatment. Is there a list of agents and there
      effective time line. Any guidence would be helpful.

      Warren,
      If you confine them, MAKE SURE that you provide plenty of
      ventilation. I would suggest a screened bottom board and a screened
      top cover for each hive. Also provide shade for the hives the entire
      day. I know from experience that bees in a hive DIE if confined and
      not provided PLEANTY of ventilation. I had an entire hive melt down
      even though it was in the shade when I confined it for one day. I lost
      the colony, the stores of honey, the wax. It was a royal mess. Good
      luck and remember, ventilate. You might even want to move them for the
      two to three days. Make sure you move them more than three miles away
      if you do so. Although harder for you, it would be easier on the bees
      if you did that.

      Mike Located 1/2 way between Mobile and Montgomery, Alabama