New BeeKeeper.

  • Sharon Lee
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2005
      Hello all, I am Sharon and I am new to this Hobby.
      I have been reading all I can about the Subject tho, and find that by
      reading all the different books I get a little confused by the
      statistics.
      I have also been reading all the posts on this forum.
      I took a short Beekeeping class offered by the area Beekeeper
      Association. I did learn a lot but also was confused too.
      When one speaker would tell us not to get into Beekeeping for the
      Money
      the next one said that there is money to be made in the products of
      Beekeeping, honey, wax, etc.
      I have recently acquired two bee swarms from Walter T. Kelley Co. in
      KY.
      They have been very helpful in my gettin started with buying all the
      necessary items for becoming a good Beekeeper.
      I have had these bees for only one month, and am learning daily from
      them and how they work and how they react to others.
      I was wondering if anyone knows how long it will take these bees to
      become "Established"?
      I think they are doing OK, but, wonder if they will have enough to
      eat
      during the winter, for they seem to be slow to progress.
      They have drawn out about seven of the ten frames in the first hive
      body and I am now preparing to add the second hive body, probably
      tomorrow, for I don't want to bother them too much, it seems to stunt
      them somehow.
      If you have any suggestions just post them and I will read them daily.
      Thanks for all the information and help you have already given and
      hopefully will continue to give to all of we "Newbee's."
      Thanks again.
      Sharon
    • jens_khan
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2005
        If you have brood in all ages they should bee ok. As a rule of thumb
        the they should winter with 8 frames of sealed food (based on
        wintering from october till march).
        I fully understand, that you are confused. All beekeepers do things
        their own way. Look and listen and use the method that you find suis you.
        When it comes to economy both can be right. If you only have a few
        hives it is hard to earn money on bees because of the cost of hives,
        extractor, strainers etc. With the price I can get wholesale 130
        pounds of honey can pay for setting up one hive with top, bottom, five
        hive bodies, frames and bees. This can be done in one year. Anything
        above 130 pounds will help pay for extractor, strainers etc. but with
        only two hives it will take many years to pay for the machinery.
        But don't care too much about the economy - you have got a great
        hobby though it is addictive.

        Jens

        --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "Sharon Lee" <lockha885@c...> wrote:
        > Hello all, I am Sharon and I am new to this Hobby.
        > I have been reading all I can about the Subject tho, and find that by
        > reading all the different books I get a little confused by the
        > statistics.
        > I have also been reading all the posts on this forum.
        > I took a short Beekeeping class offered by the area Beekeeper
        > Association. I did learn a lot but also was confused too.
        > When one speaker would tell us not to get into Beekeeping for the
        > Money
        > the next one said that there is money to be made in the products of
        > Beekeeping, honey, wax, etc.
        > I have recently acquired two bee swarms from Walter T. Kelley Co. in
        > KY.
        > They have been very helpful in my gettin started with buying all the
        > necessary items for becoming a good Beekeeper.
        > I have had these bees for only one month, and am learning daily from
        > them and how they work and how they react to others.
        > I was wondering if anyone knows how long it will take these bees to
        > become "Established"?
        > I think they are doing OK, but, wonder if they will have enough to
        > eat
        > during the winter, for they seem to be slow to progress.
        > They have drawn out about seven of the ten frames in the first hive
        > body and I am now preparing to add the second hive body, probably
        > tomorrow, for I don't want to bother them too much, it seems to stunt
        > them somehow.
        > If you have any suggestions just post them and I will read them daily.
        > Thanks for all the information and help you have already given and
        > hopefully will continue to give to all of we "Newbee's."
        > Thanks again.
        > Sharon
      • Larry Kelly
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2005
          wrote:
          > Hello all, I am Sharon and I am new to this Hobby.
          > I have been reading all I can about the Subject tho, and find that
          by
          > reading all the different books I get a little confused by the
          > statistics.
          > I have also been reading all the posts on this forum.
          > I took a short Beekeeping class offered by the area Beekeeper
          > Association. I did learn a lot but also was confused too.
          > When one speaker would tell us not to get into Beekeeping for the
          > Money
          > the next one said that there is money to be made in the products of
          > Beekeeping, honey, wax, etc.
          > I have recently acquired two bee swarms from Walter T. Kelley Co. in
          > KY.
          > They have been very helpful in my gettin started with buying all
          the
          > necessary items for becoming a good Beekeeper.
          > I have had these bees for only one month, and am learning daily
          from
          > them and how they work and how they react to others.
          > I was wondering if anyone knows how long it will take these bees to
          > become "Established"?
          > I think they are doing OK, but, wonder if they will have enough to
          > eat
          > during the winter, for they seem to be slow to progress.
          > They have drawn out about seven of the ten frames in the first hive
          > body and I am now preparing to add the second hive body, probably
          > tomorrow, for I don't want to bother them too much, it seems to
          stunt
          > them somehow.
          > If you have any suggestions just post them and I will read them
          daily.
          > Thanks for all the information and help you have already given and
          > hopefully will continue to give to all of we "Newbee's."
          > Thanks again.
          > Sharon

          Sharon:

          Most beekeeping clubs have that one "old timer" that has forgotten
          more than most of us will ever know. Draw on his/her knowledge. Most
          of the old timers will even visit your hives with you and get you
          going in the right direction.

          As for the money, I've spent alot more than I plan on taking in. For
          me it's a hobby and not a money maker.

          Larry
        • Scot Mc Pherson
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2005
            Sharon,
            To add to this, I also suggest finding a elderly mentor who hates
            drugs and chems. There are ways to successfully keep bees without the
            chems and drugs, but a mentor who uses them won't tolerate you not using
            them.

            --
            Scot Mc Pherson
            The Mc Pherson Family Honey Farms

            . ` , ` '
            .,';`,. ``. '.
            _/^\_ :;.,';`'.,` `., ' '`,
            /_____\ .:.,"'`
            /\_____/\ .,:`'"
            \###/.,';`

            > Hello all, I am Sharon and I am new to this Hobby.
            > I have been reading all I can about the Subject tho, and find that
            by
            > reading all the different books I get a little confused by the
            > statistics.
            > I have also been reading all the posts on this forum.
            > I took a short Beekeeping class offered by the area Beekeeper
            > Association. I did learn a lot but also was confused too.
            > When one speaker would tell us not to get into Beekeeping for the
            > Money
            > the next one said that there is money to be made in the products of
            > Beekeeping, honey, wax, etc.
            > I have recently acquired two bee swarms from Walter T. Kelley Co. in
            > KY.
            > They have been very helpful in my gettin started with buying all
            the
            > necessary items for becoming a good Beekeeper.
            > I have had these bees for only one month, and am learning daily
            from
            > them and how they work and how they react to others.
            > I was wondering if anyone knows how long it will take these bees to
            > become "Established"?
            > I think they are doing OK, but, wonder if they will have enough to
            > eat
            > during the winter, for they seem to be slow to progress.
            > They have drawn out about seven of the ten frames in the first hive
            > body and I am now preparing to add the second hive body, probably
            > tomorrow, for I don't want to bother them too much, it seems to
            stunt
            > them somehow.
            > If you have any suggestions just post them and I will read them
            daily.
            > Thanks for all the information and help you have already given and
            > hopefully will continue to give to all of we "Newbee's."
            > Thanks again.
            > Sharon

            Sharon:

            Most beekeeping clubs have that one "old timer" that has forgotten
            more than most of us will ever know. Draw on his/her knowledge. Most
            of the old timers will even visit your hives with you and get you
            going in the right direction.

            As for the money, I've spent alot more than I plan on taking in. For
            me it's a hobby and not a money maker.

            Larry

            Yahoo! Groups Links