Re: Queens

  • Rmaltby@cfl.rr.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 19, 2001
      Yes, Glenn it would enable them to raise a queen, but I believe that
      takes about 21 days, plus a few more to emerge and mate and then
      begin laying. I need a laying queen now to keep my hive from
      declining.

    • Rmaltby@cfl.rr.com
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 19, 2001
        Thanks Charlotte. I'll give them a call.

      • workwax@aol.com
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 19, 2001
          If the other number does not work then try David Miksa in Groveland, Fl.

          The phone number is 429-3447.

          Charlotte
        • Ray Maltby
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 21, 2001
            Thanks Charlotte.
            Actually, I spoke with Risa at R. Weaver Aparies in Texas and she sent out a Buckfast queen yesterday. I appreciate your help.
            Ray Maltby
            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 1, 2004
              In Ontario the beekeepers had originally worked with NY beekeepers to develop a trachea mite resistant bee.  We have been very successful.  I tested my bees this spring in several yards and out of 300 slices for trachea and in the other 1 out of 300 bees sampled. It cost less than $150 to test but is well worth it as it saved $2000 in treatment.

              We are presently working on hygienic and trying to incorporate it into the stock,  Anything over 75% should control AFB.  We encouraged people to breed and raise there own stock and to exchange with good stock from other breeders.  It is a good idea to raise your own stock from proven lines and to trade at your local clubs.
            • LaRae Pranter
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 29 9:20 AM
                If my queen is marked, how long will she stay marked?   Is one method better than another?

                Also...why would one need to use a queen cell protector?

                What are queen clipping sissors used for?

                LaRae
              • LEW BEST
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 29 10:30 AM

                  See below

                  Lew

                  If my queen is marked, how long will she stay marked?   Is one method better than another?

                  For life; the colored spot on her thorax is a certain color for each year so you can tell her age.  Also maker easy to find if you want to.

                  Also...why would one need to use a queen cell protector?

                  Used some way in queen rearing; not sure how.

                  What are queen clipping sissors used for?

                  Some feel clipping one wing will keep the queen from flying off with a swarm.  Controversial; most feel that a virgin queen will leave with a swarm anyway if the hive gets in the “swarming mood.”

                  Lew

                  LaRae

                • jens_khan
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 29 11:16 AM
                    --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "LaRae Pranter"
                    <prantersacres@t...> wrote:
                    > If my queen is marked, how long will she stay marked? Is one
                    method better than another?

                    A: Normally for life which is a couple of years.

                    > Also...why would one need to use a queen cell protector?

                    A: The queen cell protector is a little cage around the queen cells
                    when you rear queens. You put it on when the cell is capped. It keep
                    the queen locked in when she crawls out of the cell. If you don't do
                    it the newly crawled queen will kill the queens in the other cells
                    before she does anything else.

                    > What are queen clipping sissors used for?

                    A: When the queen has finished her mating flight one wing is cut to
                    prevent the queen from flying. When bees swarm it is the old queen who
                    leaves the hive with about half of the bees. I one wing is cut she
                    will fall down just outside the hive and the bees will go back into
                    the hive.
                    The old queen leaves the hive a day or two before the new queen
                    crawls. If she stayed she would be killed by the new queen as she is
                    not able to defend herself - her venom has hardenedand cannot be used.

                    Jens

                    > LaRae
                  • LaRae Pranter
                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 29 11:51 AM
                      Hmmmmm interesting...so I just have to learn to identify the queen body and the mark on her thorax.

                      At the beekeepers meeting last week, it was discussed about how a couple people lost bees because their queen was a virgin.   I wonder why bees sometime don't like a virgin queen?

                      LaRae

                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 29 11:53 AM
                        Now I've heard some people don't re-queen for 3 or 4 years (or whenver the
                        queen stops working)....then other re-queen every single year no matter
                        what.

                        So what are the advantages and disadvantages to both practices?

                        I see...so a queen protector cell would be a good thing to have if you are
                        in the business of raising queens.

                        LaRae
                        >> If my queen is marked, how long will she stay marked? Is one
                        > method better than another?
                        >
                        > A: Normally for life which is a couple of years.
                        >>
                        >> Also...why would one need to use a queen cell protector?
                        >
                        > A: The queen cell protector is a little cage around the queen cells
                        > when you rear queens. You put it on when the cell is capped. It keep
                        > the queen locked in when she crawls out of the cell. If you don't do
                        > it the newly crawled queen will kill the queens in the other cells
                        > before she does anything else.
                        >>
                        >> What are queen clipping sissors used for?
                        >
                        > A: When the queen has finished her mating flight one wing is cut to
                        > prevent the queen from flying. When bees swarm it is the old queen who
                        > leaves the hive with about half of the bees. I one wing is cut she
                        > will fall down just outside the hive and the bees will go back into
                        > the hive.
                        > The old queen leaves the hive a day or two before the new queen
                        > crawls. If she stayed she would be killed by the new queen as she is
                        > not able to defend herself - her venom has hardenedand cannot be used.
                        >
                        > Jens
                        >>

                        >> LaRae
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • jens_khan
                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 29 12:01 PM
                          Normally a queen has a fine production the year she is raised and the
                          next two years but she can go on longer it depends among other things
                          on the amount of semen she stored when she was mated. Normally the
                          queen mates with 7-8 drones, but in bad weather she can start laying
                          after only mating with a couple of drones.
                          The commercial beekeepers I know change 60-70 percent of the queens
                          every year.

                          Jens

                          <prantersacres@t...> wrote:
                          > Now I've heard some people don't re-queen for 3 or 4 years (or
                          whenver the
                          > queen stops working)....then other re-queen every single year no matter
                          > what.
                          >
                          > So what are the advantages and disadvantages to both practices?
                          >
                          > I see...so a queen protector cell would be a good thing to have if
                          you are
                          > in the business of raising queens.
                          >
                          > LaRae

                        • D.O.
                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 29 12:05 PM
                            Some people think that a young queen is more
                            productive and the colony is less likely to swarm.
                            Also, a less productive queen might make the bees a
                            bit more edgy. I haven't read any research on these
                            topics.

                            Replacing a queen isn't expensive, and gives hobbyists
                            a good reason to spend some time out with the bees.

                            http://us.click.yahoo.com/TzSHvD/SOnJAA/79vVAA/MwgrlB/TM

                          • LaRae Pranter
                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 29 12:07 PM
                              Ok I gotta ask...does anyone feel 'bad' when they have to kill one of their
                              queens to replace them? I'm well aware of the necessity of culling etc, we
                              have to do it also with our other animals....but I do always feel kinda bad
                              about it too.

                              Interesting about the commercial beekeepers, from a business standpoint it
                              would seem to make sense.

                              LaRae

                              > Normally a queen has a fine production the year she is raised and the
                              > next two years but she can go on longer it depends among other things
                              > on the amount of semen she stored when she was mated. Normally the
                              > queen mates with 7-8 drones, but in bad weather she can start laying
                              > after only mating with a couple of drones.
                              > The commercial beekeepers I know change 60-70 percent of the queens
                              > every year.
                              >
                              > Jens
                              >
                              > --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "LaRae Pranter"
                              > <prantersacres@t...> wrote:
                              >> Now I've heard some people don't re-queen for 3 or 4 years (or
                              > whenver the
                              >> queen stops working)....then other re-queen every single year no matter
                              >> what.
                              >>
                              >> So what are the advantages and disadvantages to both practices?
                              >>
                              >> I see...so a queen protector cell would be a good thing to have if
                              > you are
                              >> in the business of raising queens.
                              >>
                              >> LaRae

                            • LaRae Pranter
                              Message 14 of 25 , Apr 29 12:14 PM
                                How much do queens normally cost? I've heard around 15.00?

                                LaRae

                                Message 15 of 25 , Apr 29 2:57 PM

                                  The blue (this year’s color) spot stands out; nothing in the hive the color of the marked queen so VERY easy to see!

                                  Virgin queen can’t lay fertile eggs; summer workers only live about 6 weeks so colony dies.

                                  Lew

                                • FarmerBrown49@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Oct 10, 2005

                                    I know most people re-queen in the spring and that is why I am witting this now.  I am looking for a few exceptional Italian queens for this coming spring.  I am not interested in any other bread other than Italians.  I am looking for queens that have a very good laying pattern and lay in 20+ frames.  Will conceder queens that lay in as few as 18 frames.
                                    Please send me the information about the queens which meet these requirements you plan to replace next spring with younger queens.  Please state asking price and date they will be available.  Please send the information to me off List at FarmerBrown49@...

                                    Thank You
                                    Sammy
                                    Our web site: http://www.brownsbees.com  or
                                    http://brownsapiaries.com/
                                    Other screen names I can be reached at: sammy@..., farmerbrown49@..., ASamBrown@... Host your Web site with BizLand!
                                  • russell spencer
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jan 29, 2008
                                      hey all any tips on raiseingQUEENS.
                                      CAUSE @ THE PRICE OF QUEENS i HAVE HAD IT .AM GOING TO RAISE MY OWN.
                                        ALSO I HAVE FOUND A PLACE FULL OF WILD BEES HUNDREDS OF COLONIES.IN THE FOREST.AT ABOVE 5000' ELEVATION.CAPTURED SEVERAL LAST SPRING.NO MITES.BUT WHAT ABOUT OTHER ILLNESS.WOULD THEY HAVE THEM.AND WOULD THEY BE A GOOD STOCK TO RAISE QUEENS FROM.
                                       ALSO THEY APPEAR TO B JUST A TAD SMALLER THAN THE BEES I HAVE.WHEN PUT SIDE BY SIDE.AND THEY REALLY PRODUCE HONEY AND BROOD.WHY IS THIS.
                                       CAN'T FIGURE OUT BREED.THEY ARE QUITE DARKER THAN MY CANOLIANS AND ITALIANS.
                                       HAVE 100 NUKES AND QUEEN LURES TO TRY AND CATCH MORE SWARMS FROM THEY HIVES I FOUND LAST YR SO ANY ADVISE WOULD BE MORE THAN WELCOME.

                                    • Pete
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jan 29, 2008
                                        Hi Russell

                                        Commercial foundation is larger than natural comb, and some argue
                                        smaller bees are healthier.

                                        I would give them small starter strips of 4.9 size foundation and
                                        let them draw their own natural comb.

                                        Regards

                                        Peter
                                        Cambridge UK

                                        --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, russell spencer
                                        <beekeeper121@...> wrote:

                                        > hey all any tips on raiseingQUEENS.
                                        > CAUSE @ THE PRICE OF QUEENS i HAVE HAD IT .AM GOING TO RAISE MY
                                        OWN.
                                        > ALSO I HAVE FOUND A PLACE FULL OF WILD BEES HUNDREDS OF
                                        COLONIES.IN THE FOREST.AT ABOVE 5000' ELEVATION.CAPTURED SEVERAL
                                        LAST SPRING.NO MITES.BUT WHAT ABOUT OTHER ILLNESS.WOULD THEY HAVE
                                        THEM.AND WOULD THEY BE A GOOD STOCK TO RAISE QUEENS FROM.
                                        > ALSO THEY APPEAR TO B JUST A TAD SMALLER THAN THE BEES I
                                        HAVE.WHEN PUT SIDE BY SIDE.AND THEY REALLY PRODUCE HONEY AND
                                        BROOD.WHY IS THIS.
                                        > CAN'T FIGURE OUT BREED.THEY ARE QUITE DARKER THAN MY CANOLIANS
                                        AND ITALIANS.
                                        > HAVE 100 NUKES AND QUEEN LURES TO TRY AND CATCH MORE SWARMS
                                        FROM THEY HIVES I FOUND LAST YR SO ANY ADVISE WOULD BE MORE THAN
                                        WELCOME.

                                        > ---------------------------------

                                      • russell spencer
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jan 29, 2008
                                          a footnote these bees are isolated and live in sandstone formations and cliffs.as near as I can find out there has been no beekeeper in area for over 20 rys.1983.was last time a beekeeper was in area

                                          <beekeeper121@ ...> wrote:

                                          > hey all any tips on raiseingQUEENS.
                                          > CAUSE @ THE PRICE OF QUEENS i HAVE HAD IT .AM GOING TO RAISE MY
                                          OWN.
                                          > ALSO I HAVE FOUND A PLACE FULL OF WILD BEES HUNDREDS OF
                                          COLONIES.IN THE FOREST.AT ABOVE 5000' ELEVATION.CAPTURED SEVERAL
                                          LAST SPRING.NO MITES.BUT WHAT ABOUT OTHER ILLNESS.WOULD THEY HAVE
                                          THEM.AND WOULD THEY BE A GOOD STOCK TO RAISE QUEENS FROM.
                                          > ALSO THEY APPEAR TO B JUST A TAD SMALLER THAN THE BEES I
                                          HAVE.WHEN PUT SIDE BY SIDE.AND THEY REALLY PRODUCE HONEY AND
                                          BROOD.WHY IS THIS.
                                          > CAN'T FIGURE OUT BREED.THEY ARE QUITE DARKER THAN MY CANOLIANS
                                          AND ITALIANS.
                                          > HAVE 100 NUKES AND QUEEN LURES TO TRY AND CATCH MORE SWARMS
                                          FROM THEY HIVES I FOUND LAST YR SO ANY ADVISE WOULD BE MORE THAN
                                          WELCOME.

                                          > ------------ --------- --------- ---

                                        • axeman axeman
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jan 29, 2008
                                            What area???

                                            Alan, Lakeview, NY
                                            --- russell spencer <beekeeper121@...> wrote:

                                            > a footnote these bees are isolated and live in
                                            > sandstone formations and cliffs.as near as I can
                                            > find out there has been no beekeeper in area for
                                            > over 20 rys.1983.was last time a beekeeper was in
                                            > area

                                            Be a better friend, newshound, and