RE: More New Beekeeper Questions

  • Garry Libby
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 19, 2001
      Hi Vickie,
           Yes, it is good to keep the hive clear of weeds as they can grow and obstruct the entrance and also spiders will build webs in them and ants will use them to gain access to the top of the hive.
      When Your package arrives You should begin feeding them with 1/1 sugar syrup. This is made by putting a five pound bag of sugar into a one gallon container and adding water to make one gallon. You should add one level teaspoon of Fumidil-B to the first gallon. This will prevent Nosema, a protozoan disease that gets worse in bees under stress, (as what happens to a package of bees being shipped. You feed them two gallons of treated syrup in late summer/early fall).
      The number of supers You will need really depends on the area You live in also the weather. I would have at least two more on hand just in case. Also, they are handy for putting on top of the hive when feeding, You can put ziplock quart bags of syrup right on top of the frames and put the inner cover on top of the empty super then the outer cover on top.
      Are there any bee clubs near You? Or a beekeeper who You can get advice from?
      I hope You have a great year.
      Garry Libby

      Garry Libby
      Attleboro, Massachusetts, USA
      41.56 N    71.17 W
      LibBEE@...

    • Vickie
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 20, 2001
        Thanks Garry.

        Will the Fumidil-B hurt the honey or will they consume all of the first gallon before I have to put on the supers?

        I have talked to a local beekeeper before, but from what I can gather....he doesn't treat the hives like I've read they should be treated.  I don't want to start out with bad information.  I appreciate your help.  Where do I get the Fumidil-B?

        Vickie

        Garry Libby wrote:
        Hi Vickie,
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        www.debticated.com

      • Garry Libby
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 20, 2001
          Hi Vickie,
              The bees will consume all of the first gallon and use some of it to build comb. Only put Fumidil in the first gallon, it will be all used up before You would put any honey supers on. You MUST continue to feed until Your brood chamber is full or until they stop taking syrup.
          I am not sure of how many brood chambers You use in Your area, up here We use two deeps but in Your area You might use only one.
          Maybe You could ask Dr Keith Deleplane at Georgia State, I don't have His email address off hand, if You can't find it let Me know and I'll look around.
          You must treat or Your bees WILL die, that's why a lot of old timers don't have bees anymore.
          70% of bee colonies in the U.S. have Nosema according to Dr Shiminuki of the U.S.D.A. Bee Lab in Beltsville, MD.
          Have You read a good beginners book?
          Keep in touch with any questions I will help as much as I can.
          Most dealers sell Fumidil-B, I think the closest to You would be Brushy Mountain in NC, Their phone number is: 800-BEESWAX.
          Good luck,
          Garry
        • pool1@mindspring.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 4, 2001
            Hi Vickie,
            I'm also in my first year of beekeeping. I live north of Atlanta.
            The Cherokee County Beekeepers are a very active organization and offer
            good classes and advice.

            I have been to some classes and talked with some of the professional
            beekeepers and one super is all they recommend for normal usage.

            I am getting my bees this year through them in "Nucs." They will have
            already been given the spring dosages of fumidil and won't need
            anything when they arrive on April 11. You might want to check if
            yours have already been treated. There is no reason to treat twice.

            I know the Cherokee BeeKeepers have a website, but don't know address
            right now, and links off of some of the bee keeping pages. If you are
            interested in finding out more, e-mail me back and I'll find an adress.

            I hope this helps.
          • Vickie
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 6, 2001
              Thanks. I'll look them up. My bees arrived last week and, so far
              they are doing fine. I'm feeding them with sugar water. I have two
              hives. I ordered mine from Rossman Apiaries.
              Good luck this year and let's stay in touch!

              Vickie