Re: ping

  • Carol and Dan
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 6, 1999
      Hi all!

      We're out in Lancaster, PA. This is our first year beekeeping so we only
      have two hives. I've been taking a correspondence course in beekeeping
      through Penn State which is quite interesting and my husband has been
      reading all my books. We've enjoyed it so much, we've been thinking of
      expanding our hives next year and turning it into a small business
      eventually.

      Best of luck to all,
      Carol and Dan
    • inma@xxxxxxx.xxx.xx
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 9, 1999
        I'm here but I'm not sure why. I sent an intro with some questions when I
        joined and never got a reply.

        Sue

      • HONEYDEER1@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 9, 1999
          hi sue,
          I am pretty new too. What were your questions
          Roni
        • Garry Libby
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 9, 1999
            Hi Sue,
            What were Your questions? I recently moved and then My hard drive blew.
            So I have not answered a ton of mail. I am not an expert, but I will try to
            answer Your questions.
            Garry Libby
            Attleboro, MA
            LibBEE@...
          • inma@xxxxxxx.xxx.xx
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 11, 1999
              At 08:32 AM 7/9/99 EDT, you wrote:
              >From: HONEYDEER1@...
              >
              >hi sue,
              >I am pretty new too. What were your questions
              >Roni

              Hi Everyone,

              It is good to see some chat here at last. I joined awhile ago because I am
              interested in keeping bees. I have never done it before and know nothing
              about it but would love to start. So where do I start?

              From what I can tell everyone out there lives in the USA. I'm in Western
              Australia so I guess conditions and stuff would be different. Still I'm
              sure I can learn a lot from you people.

              Anyway any advise, hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.

              Sue.
            • Susan Jordan
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 11, 1999
                Just so you know Sue, not everyone is from the USA I am from Ontario Canada
                :)
              • Garry Libby
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 11, 1999
                  Hi Sue,

                  Well, I started four years ago. First, I read some good beginning
                  beekeeping books, I was lucky in a way, that I first thought about keeping
                  bees in the middle of summer. Because it was too late to start, so I sent
                  for some books and read them cover to cover(I guess I had too much time on
                  My hands as I read about five, including "The Hive and the Honeybee", the
                  "bible" of beekeeping. I guess it must be winter in Australia? Then if I
                  were You, I would send for some catalogs from local bee supply companies,
                  they are full of great info on beekeeping and are loaded with useful advice.
                  Up here in the U.S. We order our bees in the winter to be delivered in early
                  spring. I'm not sure how Your winters are, are they mild? Nick wallingford,
                  from New Zealand has a great web page on beekeeping, are You familiar with
                  it? The address is:
                  http://www.beekeeping.co.nz/index.htm
                  There is one of the worlds best pages of links at this site, and the site
                  itself is probably the best there is.
                  And if at all possible, find a local beekeeping club, that is the best place
                  to find help as locations are so very different even only twenty miles
                  apart, there are micro-climates that change the fauna where bees get their
                  nectar. You can find some people there that would be very happy to mentor
                  You. I was lucky, I found a man in His eighties Who was very helpful, He
                  taught Me so much. I hope this helps somewhat, if I've left anything out,
                  please let Me know and I'll be glad to help.
                  Garry Libby
                  Attleboro, MA U.S.A.
                  LibBEE@...
                • HONEYDEER1@xxx.xxx
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 11, 1999
                    Hi Sue,
                    The best way to start out is small so you can learn as you go with out being
                    overwelmed. Let the bees increase themselves naturally for a while until you
                    are comfortable with them.
                    Roni
                  • inma@xxxxxxx.xxx.xx
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 12, 1999
                      At 01:05 PM 7/11/99 EDT, you wrote:
                      >From: "Susan Jordan" <geronimo_13@...>
                      >
                      >Just so you know Sue, not everyone is from the USA I am from Ontario Canada
                      >:)

                      Still a long way from me though.