Propolis collection.

  • Graham Manning.
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 9, 2001
      I'm looking for propolis collection methods. What are
      the propolis mats like? And how is the propolis
      collected off them. Any other propolis gathering
      methods?

      Sting.

      a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • Garry Libby
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 10, 2001
        Hi Sting and All,
            The plastic mats for collecting pollen look like the plastic queen excluders but have thinner holes that bees can't get through.
        You put it in place of the inner cover and (I) raise the outer cover with sticks or something suitable to allow a lot of light and draught in.
        The bees will plug up the holes in the trap to block the light and keep the cold out.
        When almost full the trap is placed in a plastic bag and frozen for a day or more, then it is taken out and rolled up or twisted to allow the "plugs" of propolis to fall out. It's that simple. I put one on the hives that really glue everything up and they work better toward the fall. Beehive Botanicals in Wisconsin will pay $6.50 per LB for pure propolis from traps.
        You can make Your own propolis tincture by freezing some propolis then putting it in a blender while still frozen and blending to little bits. Then add pure grain alcohol (it MUST be GRAIN alcohol) to it in a jar with lid. Every day it is shaken and in a few days it will dissolve most of the propolis. The tincture can be used on cuts and mouth sores and really works on gum problems.
        Hope this helps,
        Garry

        Garry Libby
        Attleboro, Massachusetts, USA