RE: [beekeeping] Anti-Varroa bottom boards.

  • Garry Libby
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2001
      Hi Sting,
          Research at one of the universities confirmed that they work but only for half the season, the mite population caught up by August.
      They are a good way to monitor natural mite drop, by counting how many mites accumulate in a 24 hour period You can see if You have to treat right away.
      I believe the figures were less than five was ok but over six meant You had to treat right away.
      I hope You never get the mites. The scientists believe they have isolated a strain of bee which mites will not reproduce on, I've got My fingers crossed!!
      Good luck,

      Garry Libby
      Attleboro, Massachusetts, USA
      41.56 N    71.17 W

      LibBEE@...

    • alphabat@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2001
        yes screened bottom boards can help
        but you have to have a system (like leaving the bask open)
        to prevent wax moths from propogating under the screen where the bees can't
        get at them.
        Bruce
      • veronica thompson
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2001
          My husband has tried these bottom boards.  He made them himself and they do work pretty good.

          roni