Anti-Varroa bottom boards.

  • Graham smith
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2001
      Hi, I'm in Australia and we don't have Varroa mites
      here, but I saw these bottom boards on the net, that
      let the mites fall through.
      http://beekeeping.com/plateau-anti-varroas/index_us.htm
      I was impressed with the concept, and wondered if
      anyone had tride them? If so, whats the verdict? Do
      they work?

      Sting.

      a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • Garry Libby
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 31, 2001
        Hi Sting,
            Research at one of the universities confirmed that they work but only for half the season, the mite population caught up by August.
        They are a good way to monitor natural mite drop, by counting how many mites accumulate in a 24 hour period You can see if You have to treat right away.
        I believe the figures were less than five was ok but over six meant You had to treat right away.
        I hope You never get the mites. The scientists believe they have isolated a strain of bee which mites will not reproduce on, I've got My fingers crossed!!
        Good luck,

        Garry Libby
        Attleboro, Massachusetts, USA
        41.56 N    71.17 W

        LibBEE@...

      • alphabat@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2001
          yes screened bottom boards can help
          but you have to have a system (like leaving the bask open)
          to prevent wax moths from propogating under the screen where the bees can't
          get at them.
          Bruce
        • veronica thompson
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2001
            My husband has tried these bottom boards.  He made them himself and they do work pretty good.

            roni

            Hi, I'm in Australia and we don't have Varroa mites
            here, but I saw these bottom boards on the net, that
            let the mites fall through.
            http://beekeeping.com/plateau-anti-varroas/index_us.htm
            I was impressed with the concept, and wondered if
            anyone had tride them? If so, whats the verdict? Do
            they work?

            Sting.

            a year!  http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

            eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups