Queen Excluders

  • LaRae Pranter
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1 3:49 PM
      What's the better style to use, wood, plastic or metal?

      LaRae
    • Jon McFadden
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1 4:43 PM
        LaRae,
        I prefer not to use an excluder.
        There are a few good reasons for using them, however.
        The one I find most compelling is to keep the brood
        out of the extracting supers. My experience has been
        that wax worms are less inclined to destroy comb with
        no cocoons in it. I do use them in pairs to separate
        two colonies.
        I use the wire excluders. I have tried the stamped
        metal ones, although I have never seen a problem, the
        consensus seems to be that the sharp metal left sharp
        will damage wings. I have never had a plastic
        excluder.
        The nice thing about the wire excluders is that they
        are bound by wood, so when you double stack them, they
        leave enough space between two colonies the queens
        can't get at each other.
        Jon

        --- LaRae Pranter <prantersacres@...> wrote:
        > What's the better style to use, wood, plastic or
        > metal?
        >

        > LaRae

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • LaRae Pranter
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1 5:19 PM
          Jon,

          Ok the one I found is wire bound by wood, so it sounds similar to what you
          are talking about.

          I think I'll go ahead and start with the excluder and see what happens.

          Thanks!

          LaRae
          > There are a few good reasons for using them, however.
          > The one I find most compelling is to keep the brood
          > out of the extracting supers. My experience has been
          > that wax worms are less inclined to destroy comb with
          > no cocoons in it. I do use them in pairs to separate
          > two colonies.
          > I use the wire excluders. I have tried the stamped
          > metal ones, although I have never seen a problem, the
          > consensus seems to be that the sharp metal left sharp
          > will damage wings. I have never had a plastic
          > excluder.
          > The nice thing about the wire excluders is that they
          > are bound by wood, so when you double stack them, they
          > leave enough space between two colonies the queens
          > can't get at each other.
          > Jon
          >
          > --- LaRae Pranter <prantersacres@...> wrote:
          >> What's the better style to use, wood, plastic or
          >> metal?
          >>

          >> LaRae

        • LEW BEST
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1 5:34 PM

            Hi LaRae

            I’ve never used anything but wood bound wire excluders.  Might check EBay for some; they’re quite pricey new.

            Lew

          • FarmerBrown49@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , May 1 8:18 PM
              In a message dated 5/1/05 5:50:13 P.M. Central Daylight Time, prantersacres@... writes:
              What's the better style to use, wood, plastic or metal?

              LaRae

              Best Queen Excluder to use is two to two and a half of honey across the top of the frames.  Queen excluders are also referred to as Honey excluders.

              If you must use one and you only have a few hives say 300 or less, use the wire with wood bound.  If you think you must have them and you run more than say 300 use the all medal Excluders.