Storing supers/Storing honey

  • Ann Fisher
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2000
      Hello all,

      I have a few questions here. I finally extracted the honey from my supers. I set the empty supers back outside near the front of the hives on a sunny day and the bees did a great job of cleaning up all the comb so I can now store them for the winter. However, I noticed a few very small, white oval shapes on the inside of some of the cells. Hmmm.... I was wondering if maybe some wax moths had paid a visit to the supers that day, too, and laid some eggs. Now I'm wondering how to go about storing them.

      If I put each super in the freezer for a few days, will that kill any pests, even if the are just eggs at this point? I store my well-sealed up supers in an unheated storage area. Will the cold of a Pennsylvania winter keep things from hatching? What ways have you found helpful to protect your honey supers during storage?

      Also, does anyone do anything special to keep your honey from granulating before you can use it all up?

      Best wishes,
      Ann
      Pennsylvania, U.S.A.

      FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com