Entrance reducer

  • LaRae Pranter
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 29, 2005
      Why exactly are these used?

      LaRae
    • Jon McFadden
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 29, 2005
        LaRae,
        There are times when a colony needs protection from
        other bees and from the weather. Having a small
        entrance, the bees can defend their hive much better
        if a stronger hive tries to rob it.
        I use a two inch opening in my hives with a killion
        board. This allows the bees protection from the
        weather, but also exposes them to robbers. I tried
        screens one year to see if that made a difference. The
        result was inconclusive. The hives adapted to them
        fairly well but I really haven't had a large
        population of robbers anyway. The were another
        maintenance headache, so I pitched them. Keeping
        strong hives is a better method.
        Jon

        --- LaRae Pranter <prantersacres@...> wrote:
        > Why exactly are these used?
        >

        > LaRae

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • LaRae Pranter
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 29, 2005
          Jon,

          Ok cool....I am getting one in my hive package but wasn't sure of their
          exact purpose!

          LaRae

          > There are times when a colony needs protection from
          > other bees and from the weather. Having a small
          > entrance, the bees can defend their hive much better
          > if a stronger hive tries to rob it.
          > I use a two inch opening in my hives with a killion
          > board. This allows the bees protection from the
          > weather, but also exposes them to robbers. I tried
          > screens one year to see if that made a difference. The
          > result was inconclusive. The hives adapted to them
          > fairly well but I really haven't had a large
          > population of robbers anyway. The were another
          > maintenance headache, so I pitched them. Keeping
          > strong hives is a better method.
          > Jon
          >

          > --- LaRae Pranter <prantersacres@...> wrote:
          >> Why exactly are these used?
          >>

          >> LaRae

        • Jon McFadden
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 29, 2005
            LaRae,
            If the weather is cool like it has been the last
            couple of days, it might be useful to reduce the
            entrance. I suspect you won't have a need.
            Jon
            --- LaRae Pranter <prantersacres@...> wrote:
            > Jon,
            >
            > Ok cool....I am getting one in my hive package but
            > wasn't sure of their
            > exact purpose!
            >

            > LaRae

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • LaRae Pranter
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 30, 2005
              Ok so you are saying I won't need this during the summer months unless I
              were to have a problem with feral bees etc..right?

            • Jon McFadden
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 30, 2005
                That is correct.

                --- LaRae Pranter <prantersacres@...> wrote:
                > Ok so you are saying I won't need this during the
                > summer months unless I
                > were to have a problem with feral bees etc..right?
                >

                > LaRae

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • mdudley
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 14, 2013
                  I thought people here might be interested in seeing the entrance reducer I am using.  It uses perforated metal on the left, and a perforated metal slide (which is slide completely left for max opening size right now), so there is good ventilation no matter how open or shut it is.  The slide can be slid completely to the right to close it up for moving, while still giving full ventilation as well.  The holes in the slide are too small for hive beetles to get through.

                  http://www.king-cart.com/IMG_3155.JPG

                  Marshall