Supers and honey

  • Rodney Farrar
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2000
      Just took supers off today this is my first year and I have two hives.
      Treated for mites with apistan strips. My question is what to do with
      the supers that have honey (capped and uncapped. Only had a few that
      were 70% full and capped, quiet a few 80% full of honey but not capped.
      One person suggested that I put them in the freezer and put them back on
      at a later date in the spring. The are in the freezer now wrapped in
      plastic. My location is Leesburg, VA.

      Thanks,

      Rodney
    • Garry Libby
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2000
        Hi Rodney,

             When I have the same problem I hold the frames that are in question sideways and shake them. If no nectar or thin honey drips out then I will extract them. I have been doing that on occasion for five years and never had a problem. Are honey flows over for the year in Your area? Currently We have sweet pepper bush blooming in our area.
        Garry