ping

  • Rich
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 4, 1999
      Just curious how many people are out here.

      Happy Fourth!

      Rich
    • Jeff Schlenker
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 4, 1999
        At 09:10 PM 7/4/99 , Rich wrote:
        >From: Rich <wd6esz@...>
        >
        >Just curious how many people are out here.

        Well, according to Onelist, there are 46 people on this list. I would
        probably be number 46 since I just joined today. I worked for a beekeeper
        for over 11 years. I've now been doing technical support for a computer
        company since last November. What a change, huh?

        I noticed this list today and was curious what people were talking about here.

        > Happy Fourth!

        Ditto!

        Jeff
      • Yngve Andreasson
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 5, 1999
          >From: Rich <wd6esz@...>
          >
          >Just curious how many people are out here.
          >
          > Happy Fourth!
          >
          > Rich

          I�m a swedish beekeeper, and got my first hive one year ago.
          It would be nice to hear who you are,that get this mail.

          Yngve
        • Susan Jordan
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 5, 1999
            I am located in Southwestern Ontario, Canada. I am 16 and began three years
            ago with one hive, we now have four hives (two were successfully re-queened
            this year) Welcome new members! It is so fascinating to hear from many
            different and interesting people.

            Susan Jordan
          • Linda Lee
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 5, 1999
              Hi,

              I guess I must be number 45 since I joined yesterday.
              I've been talking to a beekeeper in my area
              (southern New Hampshire) and am excited about
              setting up a hive. I'm in a semi-rural area and
              have just planted fruit trees and a small herb
              garden and would love to know more about
              beekeeping. So I've joined this list to get a feel
              for what it might be like. Glad to hear there are
              others out there ;)

              Linda

              > Message: 2
              > Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 23:25:43 -0500
              > From: Jeff Schlenker <jschlenker@...>
              > Subject: Re: ping
              >
              > At 09:10 PM 7/4/99 , Rich wrote:
              > >From: Rich <wd6esz@...>
              > >
              > >Just curious how many people are out here.
              >
              > Well, according to Onelist, there are 46 people on this list. I would
              > probably be number 46 since I just joined today. I worked for a beekeeper
              > for over 11 years. I've now been doing technical support for a computer
              > company since last November. What a change, huh?
              >
              > I noticed this list today and was curious what people were talking about here.
              >
              > > Happy Fourth!
              >
              > Ditto!
              >
              > Jeff

            • Carol and Dan
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 6, 1999
                Hi all!

                We're out in Lancaster, PA. This is our first year beekeeping so we only
                have two hives. I've been taking a correspondence course in beekeeping
                through Penn State which is quite interesting and my husband has been
                reading all my books. We've enjoyed it so much, we've been thinking of
                expanding our hives next year and turning it into a small business
                eventually.

                Best of luck to all,
                Carol and Dan
              • inma@xxxxxxx.xxx.xx
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 9, 1999
                  I'm here but I'm not sure why. I sent an intro with some questions when I
                  joined and never got a reply.

                  Sue

                • HONEYDEER1@xxx.xxx
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 9, 1999
                    hi sue,
                    I am pretty new too. What were your questions
                    Roni
                  • Garry Libby
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 9, 1999
                      Hi Sue,
                      What were Your questions? I recently moved and then My hard drive blew.
                      So I have not answered a ton of mail. I am not an expert, but I will try to
                      answer Your questions.
                      Garry Libby
                      Attleboro, MA
                      LibBEE@...
                    • inma@xxxxxxx.xxx.xx
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 11, 1999
                        At 08:32 AM 7/9/99 EDT, you wrote:
                        >From: HONEYDEER1@...
                        >
                        >hi sue,
                        >I am pretty new too. What were your questions
                        >Roni

                        Hi Everyone,

                        It is good to see some chat here at last. I joined awhile ago because I am
                        interested in keeping bees. I have never done it before and know nothing
                        about it but would love to start. So where do I start?

                        From what I can tell everyone out there lives in the USA. I'm in Western
                        Australia so I guess conditions and stuff would be different. Still I'm
                        sure I can learn a lot from you people.

                        Anyway any advise, hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.

                        Sue.
                      • Susan Jordan
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 11, 1999
                          Just so you know Sue, not everyone is from the USA I am from Ontario Canada
                          :)
                        • Garry Libby
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 11, 1999
                            Hi Sue,

                            Well, I started four years ago. First, I read some good beginning
                            beekeeping books, I was lucky in a way, that I first thought about keeping
                            bees in the middle of summer. Because it was too late to start, so I sent
                            for some books and read them cover to cover(I guess I had too much time on
                            My hands as I read about five, including "The Hive and the Honeybee", the
                            "bible" of beekeeping. I guess it must be winter in Australia? Then if I
                            were You, I would send for some catalogs from local bee supply companies,
                            they are full of great info on beekeeping and are loaded with useful advice.
                            Up here in the U.S. We order our bees in the winter to be delivered in early
                            spring. I'm not sure how Your winters are, are they mild? Nick wallingford,
                            from New Zealand has a great web page on beekeeping, are You familiar with
                            it? The address is:
                            http://www.beekeeping.co.nz/index.htm
                            There is one of the worlds best pages of links at this site, and the site
                            itself is probably the best there is.
                            And if at all possible, find a local beekeeping club, that is the best place
                            to find help as locations are so very different even only twenty miles
                            apart, there are micro-climates that change the fauna where bees get their
                            nectar. You can find some people there that would be very happy to mentor
                            You. I was lucky, I found a man in His eighties Who was very helpful, He
                            taught Me so much. I hope this helps somewhat, if I've left anything out,
                            please let Me know and I'll be glad to help.
                            Garry Libby
                            Attleboro, MA U.S.A.
                            LibBEE@...
                          • HONEYDEER1@xxx.xxx
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 11, 1999
                              Hi Sue,
                              The best way to start out is small so you can learn as you go with out being
                              overwelmed. Let the bees increase themselves naturally for a while until you
                              are comfortable with them.
                              Roni
                            • inma@xxxxxxx.xxx.xx
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 12, 1999
                                At 01:05 PM 7/11/99 EDT, you wrote:
                                >From: "Susan Jordan" <geronimo_13@...>
                                >
                                >Just so you know Sue, not everyone is from the USA I am from Ontario Canada
                                >:)

                                Still a long way from me though.