pre-swarm help?

  • bdloving
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 3, 2005
      Our calendar says the 1st major flow should start 3-4th week of April,
      I have been feeding my strong hive to build the population. I was
      hoping to attempt Ross Rounds on this hive this year.

      Well it worked.(Grin) I just cut 6 queen cells (1 capped) off the
      bottoms of several frames, so now I get to learn about swarming.

      When I opened the hive, the bees had built brace comb around the
      middle of the queen excluder, between the boxes and on the bottom of
      the frames, most of it had brood in it. So, as you have said, they
      are asking for more brood space. I had reversed the brood boxes 3
      weeks ago.

      Description when I opened the hive:
      Queen 8 mths old, marked.
      1 super foundation being drawn,
      queen reducer,
      2 full size brood boxes w/drawn frames,
      brood boxes both have 8 of 10 frames of brood, some strong pattern,
      outside frames have brood anywhere there is not pollen/honey. Very
      little open cells.
      The bees are drawing the foundation in the super, 6frames almost
      totally drawn and have nectar (and sugar water) stored. the other 4
      frames they have started drawing.

      The bottom brood box was almost exclusively capped brood, honey and
      pollen.
      The top brood box was a good mixture of everything and that is where I
      found the queen.

      I took 2 frames of honey/pollen out of the top brood box (edges) and
      put 2 empty drawn frames into the middle. Then I swapped the brood
      boxes and put the queen excluder between them. So I know where the
      queen is now. She has some room to lay, and I have a little breathing
      space to figure out what else to do.

      I have available a couple of 4-frame nucs, 1 more full-size brood box
      and several 6" super boxes, Imirie shims and top feeders. I have
      several drawn frames of both sizes but most of it is full of
      honey/pollen mix. Oh and supplies to make super foundations. And the
      Ross Round equipment.

      Advise?

      Many thanks
    • mws@frontiernet.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 3, 2005
        --- bdloving <bdloving@...> wrote that he had
        swarm cells.

        I would make a split. Take a frame of queen cells,
        put it into one of your nucs in the middle, place a
        couple of frames of capped brood on each side of the
        queen cell frame, put a frame of foundation on each
        side of the three frames (Assuming you havve a five
        frame nuc), then shake a frame or two of bees into the
        nuc and put the top on. Move your large hive to one
        side and place your nuc in its place. That way the
        nuc will recieve most of the original hive's field
        bees for additional support. The original hive will
        have its population temporarily reduced which will
        reduce the swarming tendency, and you might get away
        with a super strong hive for honey production plus a
        nuc which should develop pretty quickly into a
        producing hive. This does not guarantee that the
        original hive won't swarm later on.

        Mike
      • Jingles
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 3, 2005

          I just assembled my first hive, a kit from Kelley's, and I would like to know if I should paint the metal cover. TIA!

          Love, Marla, getting bees in one week!
        • Jingles
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 3, 2005

            Thanks, Rick!

            I didn't really want to paint it, but I don't want my girls (well, mostly girls) to overheat, either. Thanks!

            Love, Marla

            At 07:56 PM 4/3/2005, you wrote:
            It's not really necessary.  Pretty much up to you.

            RJ

            Jingles <jingles@...> wrote:

            I just assembled my first hive, a kit from Kelley's, and I would like to know if I should paint the metal cover. TIA!

            Love, Marla, getting bees in one week!

            Yahoo! Groups Links
            To visit your group on the web, go to:

            Do you Yahoo!?

            A paragon of rubber stamping with a bewitching flair at http://www.thecraftydragon.net

            "Lift up your eyes upon
            This day breaking for you.
            Give birth again
            To the dream."
            -- Maya Angelou

          • jens_khan
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 3, 2005
              That is what happens when you feed your bees too much in the spring.
              If they have sufficiant food leave them alone. You can almost ill a
              family by feedinrg it. They will develop too fast and if you get some
              bad weather you have too feed the bees again. The only reason to force
              the development of the hive by force feeding the bees is that you have
              a special crop that you wish the bees to be ready for. If you build
              the hive up too fast by feeding you will make them try to swarm very
              early because they have to find af better place.
              You get another problem by feeding too much. The honey you harvest is
              of a laver qualityas it isn't made from nectar but from syrup or
              sugar dough.
              One of the things I do in the spring is to uncap the remains (if any)
              of the sugar I gave the bees in the autaumn. In this way I make the
              bees use this sugar first. This way I am sure (almost) that my honey
              is from nectar and not from feeding.
              My honey has a very distinct taste because it is pure, and that means
              that customers will pay almost one dollar more per jar than what they
              have to pay in the local supermarked.
              To me it is also about making the best product possible. Even the
              1,500 pound a year I sell to wholesaler is of that quality.

              Jens

              --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "bdloving" <bdloving@y...> wrote:

              > Our calendar says the 1st major flow should start 3-4th week of April,
              > I have been feeding my strong hive to build the population. I was
              > hoping to attempt Ross Rounds on this hive this year.
              >
              > Well it worked.(Grin) I just cut 6 queen cells (1 capped) off the
              > bottoms of several frames, so now I get to learn about swarming.
              >
              > When I opened the hive, the bees had built brace comb around the
              > middle of the queen excluder, between the boxes and on the bottom of
              > the frames, most of it had brood in it. So, as you have said, they
              > are asking for more brood space. I had reversed the brood boxes 3
              > weeks ago.
              >
              > Description when I opened the hive:
              > Queen 8 mths old, marked.
              > 1 super foundation being drawn,
              > queen reducer,
              > 2 full size brood boxes w/drawn frames,
              > brood boxes both have 8 of 10 frames of brood, some strong pattern,
              > outside frames have brood anywhere there is not pollen/honey. Very
              > little open cells.
              > The bees are drawing the foundation in the super, 6frames almost
              > totally drawn and have nectar (and sugar water) stored. the other 4
              > frames they have started drawing.
              >
              > The bottom brood box was almost exclusively capped brood, honey and
              > pollen.
              > The top brood box was a good mixture of everything and that is where I
              > found the queen.
              >
              > I took 2 frames of honey/pollen out of the top brood box (edges) and
              > put 2 empty drawn frames into the middle. Then I swapped the brood
              > boxes and put the queen excluder between them. So I know where the
              > queen is now. She has some room to lay, and I have a little breathing
              > space to figure out what else to do.
              >
              > I have available a couple of 4-frame nucs, 1 more full-size brood box
              > and several 6" super boxes, Imirie shims and top feeders. I have
              > several drawn frames of both sizes but most of it is full of
              > honey/pollen mix. Oh and supplies to make super foundations. And the
              > Ross Round equipment.
              >
              > Advise?
              >
              > Many thanks
            • davidbrowder
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 3, 2005
                Make a split, they're going to swarm no matter what so ya might as well try
                and "chaperone" things as much as possible. Seems every year I get one or
                two like that. Made me a big fan of two frame nucs.........................
                ..........3d -4th week of April?? I'm thinking if the wind wasn't blowing so
                hard the'd be on the flow this weekend. Hoping to be pulling supers off by
                then. Yeah, I'm pushing the calendar a bit, but bees can't read. Time will
                tell.