[beekeeping]Killion Boards

  • Jon McFadden
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
      Does anyone use killion boards anymore. There is
      supposed to be an advantage to using them to provide
      some additional clustering room and to prevent stray
      drafts having access to the front of the brood nest
      nearest the entrance.
      I have used them for years and not really noticed any
      difference. I'm just curious what others have
      experienced.
      I like to play with my bees.
      Jon McFadden

      http://personals.yahoo.com
    • davidbrowder
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
        I use em, got 4. Seemed like a good idea so I got em from Better Bee. Can't
        see as they make any difference but pretty sure they aren't hurting
        anything. Always get just a couple of things when you're first trying it
        out. This year it's screened bottom boards.Time will tell. Boy there's some
        weird stuff laying around here!!
        > Does anyone use killion boards anymore. There is
        > supposed to be an advantage to using them to provide
        > some additional clustering room and to prevent stray
        > drafts having access to the front of the brood nest
        > nearest the entrance.
        > I have used them for years and not really noticed any
        > difference. I'm just curious what others have
        > experienced.
        > I like to play with my bees.
        > Jon McFadden

        > Yahoo! Personals - Better first dates. More second dates.
        > http://personals.yahoo.com
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Jon McFadden
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
          Hello David,
          I didn't know anyone sold them. I built my own. Did
          the ones you got from Better Bee have a wide board in
          the front? How wide were the slats?
          You're right, over the years there are a lot of
          theories people have experimented with.
          After observing my lone surviving hive didn't use the
          front entrance, but instead used a space between the
          bottom super and the 2nd super to come and go, I
          thought I would improve on this idea when I started
          back up. Turns out I didn't have to do that.
          Jon

          --- davidbrowder <davidbrowder@...> wrote:
          > I use em, got 4. Seemed like a good idea so I got em
          > from Better Bee. Can't
          > see as they make any difference but pretty sure they
          > aren't hurting
          > anything. Always get just a couple of things when
          > you're first trying it
          > out. This year it's screened bottom boards.Time will
          > tell. Boy there's some
          > weird stuff laying around here!!

          http://personals.yahoo.com
        • LEW BEST
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005

            What is a killion board?

            Lew

            I didn't know anyone sold them. I built my own. Did
            the ones you got from Better Bee have a wide board in
            the front? How wide were the slats?
            You're right, over the years there are a lot of
            theories people have experimented with.
            After observing my lone surviving hive didn't use the
            front entrance, but instead used a space between the
            bottom super and the 2nd super to come and go, I
            thought I would improve on this idea when I started
            back up. Turns out I didn't have to do that.
            Jon

            --- davidbrowder <davidbrowder@...> wrote:
            > I use em, got 4. Seemed like a good idea so I got em
            > from Better Bee. Can't
            > see as they make any difference but pretty sure they
            > aren't hurting
            > anything.  Always get just a couple of things when
            > you're first trying it
            > out. This year it's screened bottom boards.Time will
            > tell. Boy there's some
            > weird stuff laying around here!!

          • davidbrowder
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
              Yeah, got the wide board in the front. One inch slats?? I'm guessing there
              though. Several outfits sell em, so I guess there's something to it. Might
              be a cold weather thing.
              > I didn't know anyone sold them. I built my own. Did
              > the ones you got from Better Bee have a wide board in
              > the front? How wide were the slats?
              > You're right, over the years there are a lot of
              > theories people have experimented with.
              > After observing my lone surviving hive didn't use the
              > front entrance, but instead used a space between the
              > bottom super and the 2nd super to come and go, I
              > thought I would improve on this idea when I started
              > back up. Turns out I didn't have to do that.
              > Jon
              >
              > --- davidbrowder <davidbrowder@...> wrote:
              > > I use em, got 4. Seemed like a good idea so I got em
              > > from Better Bee. Can't
              > > see as they make any difference but pretty sure they
              > > aren't hurting
              > > anything. Always get just a couple of things when
              > > you're first trying it
              > > out. This year it's screened bottom boards.Time will
              > > tell. Boy there's some
              > > weird stuff laying around here!!

            • davidbrowder
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
                AKA slatted rack.
                I didn't know anyone sold them. I built my own. Did
                the ones you got from Better Bee have a wide board in
                the front? How wide were the slats?
                You're right, over the years there are a lot of
                theories people have experimented with.
                After observing my lone surviving hive didn't use the
                front entrance, but instead used a space between the
                bottom super and the 2nd super to come and go, I
                thought I would improve on this idea when I started
                back up. Turns out I didn't have to do that.
                Jon

                --- davidbrowder <davidbrowder@...> wrote:
                > I use em, got 4. Seemed like a good idea so I got em
                > from Better Bee. Can't
                > see as they make any difference but pretty sure they
                > aren't hurting
                > anything.  Always get just a couple of things when
                > you're first trying it
                > out. This year it's screened bottom boards.Time will
                > tell. Boy there's some
                > weird stuff laying around here!!

              • LEW BEST
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005

                  Thanks!  Just hadn’t heard them called that before.

                  Lew

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 1, 2005
                    David,
                    Mine were 3/4" as I remember. I would have to dig one
                    out of the pile and look.
                    I used a 4" wide board in the front. The idea was to
                    allow the queen to use more of the comb in the brood
                    chamber and shelter the brood from temperature drops
                    in the spring. I guess you could say it's a cold
                    weather thing. However, the ones I made used an extra
                    deep bottom board which Killion said reduced
                    congestion in the brood nest, thereby providing some
                    swarm control.
                    The deeper bottom board used with the killion board
                    allowed better ventilation, too.

                    http://mail.yahoo.com