no drones, no brood :(

  • ann fisher
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2000
      Hello,
      I checked my hive yesterday and found that the number of bees was way
      down. I did not see 1 drone in the entire hive!! The queen is there, I saw
      her, but she is not laying and there is no brood. What do you think is the
      best thing to do? Requeen as soon as possible? The bees that are there look
      healthy. I have never had this happen before!

      Thanks,
      Ann Fisher
      PA
    • Garry Libby
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2000
        Hi Ann,

        I would guess that the queen was poorly mated and has run out of
        sperm. I saw a friends hive today that had the exact same problem. Yes,
        order a new queen right away. Do You have another really strong hive that
        You could add frames of brood from if needed? Most of the queen breeders
        start shipping this coming week so You found this at a good time. I found a
        really strong that colony was queenless ten days ago and ordered a queen. I
        was told they would ship it last Thursday or Friday, but they now say they
        won't ship 'till Tuesday. Now that hive is dwindling. Guess Who I will never
        order queens from again?
        Let Us know how You do.
        Garry Libby
        Attleboro, Massachusetts, USA