Re: [beekeeping] Bee Keeping for Dummies

  • Melissa Harris
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 11, 2005
      Hello RJ,

      I like the book, "Beekeeping for Dummies" very much. The pictures are
      excellent and it is easy to follow. The reason that I bought the book
      last year was the way that the "Dummies" book is set up. It begins
      with a very detailed description of installing package bees and
      follows what to look for with each progressing week after
      installation. (There is also a pictorial showing the installation as
      well..) This worked great for me, as I had no help in the remote area
      where I live and I was able to do the whole procedure by myself.

      Melissa

      >Would anyone recommend the book "Bee Keeping for Dummies?"
      >

      >RJ
    • Lee A Ratcliff
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 11, 2005
        yes whole heartedly.

        Just keep in mind, that the practices in the book are how the author works their bees.  There may be better ways to do things, or other ways.  I guess what Im saying is dont take that book as the end all of beekeeping.  It is however a real good book to get started with.

        Sparky

        On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:46:24 -0800 (PST) Rick Johnson <ccnnowner@...> writes:
        Would anyone recommend the book "Bee Keeping for Dummies?"

        RJ

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • Rick Johnson
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 11, 2005
          Thanks everyone for their input.

          I will be inheriting a hive this spring.   I have a fried who's kids started a hive as a 4-H project and they don't want it any more.

          My grandfather was a bee keeper and I would like to continue the practice.

          Rick

          Melissa Harris <melarris@...> wrote:
          Hello RJ,

          I like the book, "Beekeeping for Dummies" very much. The pictures are
          excellent and it is easy to follow. The reason that I bought the book
          last year was the way that the "Dummies" book is set up. It begins
          with a very detailed description of installing package bees and
          follows what to look for with each progressing week after
          installation. (There is also a pictorial showing the installation as
          well..) This worked great for me, as I had no help in the remote area
          where I live and I was able to do the whole procedure by myself.

          Melissa

          >Would anyone recommend the book "Bee Keeping for Dummies?"
          >

          >RJ

          http://mail.yahoo.com

        • LEW BEST
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 11, 2005

            Hey Rick

            Another book I like real well for beginners is Walter T. Kelley’s book “How To Keep Bees & Sell Honey” from Walter T Kelley Co. in Clarkson, KY.  A great forum is on beesource.com; also a chat room at bee-l.com.  Chat on from 7:30pm till ? Central time every night.

            Lew

            I will be inheriting a hive this spring.   I have a fried who's kids started a hive as a 4-H project and they don't want it any more.

            My grandfather was a bee keeper and I would like to continue the practice.

            Rick

            Melissa Harris <melarris@...> wrote:

            Hello RJ,

            I like the book, "Beekeeping for Dummies" very much. The pictures are
            excellent and it is easy to follow. The reason that I bought the book
            last year was the way that the "Dummies" book is set up. It begins
            with a very detailed description of installing package bees and
            follows what to look for with each progressing week after
            installation. (There is also a pictorial showing the installation as
            well..) This worked great for me, as I had no help in the remote area
            where I live and I was able to do the whole procedure by myself.

            Melissa

            >Would anyone recommend the book "Bee Keeping for Dummies?"
            >

            >RJ

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Clint D
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 11, 2005
              Where can I get this book?
              Clint D

              > Hello RJ,
              >
              > I like the book, "Beekeeping for Dummies" very much. The pictures are
              > excellent and it is easy to follow. The reason that I bought the book
              > last year was the way that the "Dummies" book is set up. It begins
              > with a very detailed description of installing package bees and
              > follows what to look for with each progressing week after
              > installation. (There is also a pictorial showing the installation as
              > well..) This worked great for me, as I had no help in the remote area
              > where I live and I was able to do the whole procedure by myself.
              >
              > Melissa
              >

              > >Would anyone recommend the book "Bee Keeping for Dummies?"
              > >

              > >RJ
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Rick Johnson
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 12, 2005
                www.amazon.com

                Clint D <driggars@...> wrote:
                Where can I get this book?
                Clint D

                > Hello RJ,
                >
                > I like the book, "Beekeeping for Dummies" very much. The pictures are
                > excellent and it is easy to follow. The reason that I bought the book
                > last year was the way that the "Dummies" book is set up. It begins
                > with a very detailed description of installing package bees and
                > follows what to look for with each progressing week after
                > installation. (There is also a pictorial showing the installation as
                > well..) This worked great for me, as I had no help in the remote area
                > where I live and I was able to do the whole procedure by myself.
                >
                > Melissa
                >

                > >Would anyone recommend the book "Bee Keeping for Dummies?"
                > >

                > >RJ
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                Do you Yahoo!?
              • henrytrt
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 12, 2005
                  --- Check out E-bay,it's usually on there often.
                  HenryIn beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Rick Johnson <ccnnowner@y...>
                  wrote:
                  > www.amazon.com
                  >
                  > Clint D <driggars@e...> wrote:Where can I get this book?
                  > Clint D
                  >

                  > > Hello RJ,
                  > >
                  > > I like the book, "Beekeeping for Dummies" very much. The pictures
                  are
                  > > excellent and it is easy to follow. The reason that I bought the
                  book
                  > > last year was the way that the "Dummies" book is set up. It
                  begins
                  > > with a very detailed description of installing package bees and
                  > > follows what to look for with each progressing week after
                  > > installation. (There is also a pictorial showing the installation
                  as
                  > > well..) This worked great for me, as I had no help in the remote
                  area
                  > > where I live and I was able to do the whole procedure by myself.
                  > >
                  > > Melissa
                  > >

                  > > >Would anyone recommend the book "Bee Keeping for Dummies?"
                  > > >

                  > > >RJ
                  > >

                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                  > >

                  > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  Service.

                • frido dido
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 12, 2005
                    bonsoir , je suis bien un amoureux des abeilles , et j'aimerai bien en savoir d'avantage , j'exerce un petit élevage , et j'ai beaucoup appris a travers , mais plus on vis plus on découvres des nouveautées donc si vous souhaitez partager a mon égard un tas d'imformations consernant le monde apicol j'en serai tres ravis , seulement sachez que je ne communique que en utilisant la longue française .
                                                                                                            merci

                    Melissa Harris <melarris@...> wrote:
                    Hello RJ,

                    I like the book, "Beekeeping for Dummies" very much. The pictures are
                    excellent and it is easy to follow. The reason that I bought the book
                    last year was the way that the "Dummies" book is set up. It begins
                    with a very detailed description of installing package bees and
                    follows what to look for with each progressing week after
                    installation. (There is also a pictorial showing the installation as
                    well..) This worked great for me, as I had no help in the remote area
                    where I live and I was able to do the whole procedure by myself.

                    Melissa

                    >Would anyone recommend the book "Bee Keeping for Dummies?"
                    >

                    >RJ

                    Créez votre Yahoo! Mail

                  • M Nist
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 12, 2005
                      I really must subscribe to a "French only" mailing list so I can post to it in English.

                      --Madeleine

                      > bonsoir , je suis bien un amoureux des abeilles , et j'aimerai bien en savoir
                      > d'avantage , j'exerce un petit élevage , et j'ai beaucoup appris a travers , mais plus
                      > on vis plus on découvres des nouveautées donc si vous souhaitez partager a mon égard un
                      > tas d'imformations consernant le monde apicol j'en serai tres ravis , seulement sachez
                      > que je ne communique que en utilisant la longue française .
                      >                                                                                         merci

                      > Melissa Harris <melarris@...> wrote:
                      > Hello RJ,

                      > I like the book, "Beekeeping for Dummies" very much. The pictures are
                      > excellent and it is easy to follow. The reason that I bought the book
                      > last year was the way that the "Dummies" book is set up. It begins
                      > with a very detailed description of installing package bees and
                      > follows what to look for with each progressing week after
                      > installation. (There is also a pictorial showing the installation as
                      > well..) This worked great for me, as I had no help in the remote area
                      > where I live and I was able to do the whole procedure by myself.

                      > Melissa

                      >>Would anyone recommend the book "Bee Keeping for Dummies?"
                      >>

                      >>RJ

                      > Découvrez le nouveau Yahoo! Mail : 250 Mo d'espace de stockage pour vos mails !
                      > Créez votre Yahoo! Mail
                      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links
                      >   To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                      >   Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
                    • Phil Moss
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 12, 2005
                        There is a really nice website that I use a lot for translation.
                        It's very easy....just copy and paste. go to

                        http://babelfish.altavista.com/

                        It allows you to communicate with much of the world.

                        here is the french message translated:

                        good evening, I am well in love with the bees, and I will like to
                        know some of advantage, I exert a small animal breeding, and I
                        learned much has through, but more one live more one only discover
                        nouveautées thus if you wish to divide has my regard a heap of
                        imformations consernant the world apicol I will be very charmed by
                        it, will know that I do not state that by using the long Frenchwoman.
                        thank you

                        Phil
                        the Tyny Goat Ranch
                        tyny.com

                        --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, M Nist <mnist@s...> wrote:
                        > I really must subscribe to a "French only" mailing list so I can
                        post to it in English.

                        > --Madeleine
                        >
                        > > bonsoir , je suis bien un amoureux des abeilles , et j'aimerai
                        bien en savoir
                        > > d'avantage , j'exerce un petit élevage , et j'ai beaucoup appris
                        a travers , mais plus
                        > > on vis plus on découvres des nouveautées donc si vous souhaitez
                        partager a mon égard un
                        > > tas d'imformations consernant le monde apicol j'en serai tres
                        ravis , seulement sachez
                        > > que je ne communique que en utilisant la longue française .
                        >

                                            merci

                        > > Melissa Harris <melarris@f...> wrote:
                        > > Hello RJ,
                        >
                        > > I like the book, "Beekeeping for Dummies" very much. The pictures
                        are
                        > > excellent and it is easy to follow. The reason that I bought the
                        book
                        > > last year was the way that the "Dummies" book is set up. It
                        begins
                        > > with a very detailed description of installing package bees and
                        > > follows what to look for with each progressing week after
                        > > installation. (There is also a pictorial showing the installation
                        as
                        > > well..) This worked great for me, as I had no help in the remote
                        area
                        > > where I live and I was able to do the whole procedure by myself.
                        >
                        > > Melissa
                        >

                        > >>Would anyone recommend the book "Bee Keeping for Dummies?"
                        > >>

                        > >>RJ
                        >

                        > > Découvrez le nouveau Yahoo! Mail : 250 Mo d'espace de stockage
                        pour vos mails !
                        > > Créez votre Yahoo! Mail
                        > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                        >

                        > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                        > >   To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                        > >   Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                        Service.
                      • Domhnall Seaghdha
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 12, 2005
                          Yaaw... Shoma baayad zabaan-e feransavi behtar dars bekhonid ta nemitaanid
                          mokhtalef-eshan befahimid. :^)

                          Magar gardan-e shoma qermez ast?

                          > I really must subscribe to a "French only" mailing list so I can post to
                          > it in English.
                          >
                          > --Madeleine
                          >
                          >> bonsoir , je suis bien un amoureux des abeilles , et j'aimerai bien en
                          >> savoir
                          >> d'avantage , j'exerce un petit élevage , et j'ai beaucoup appris a
                          >> travers , mais plus
                          >> on vis plus on découvres des nouveautées donc si vous souhaitez partager
                          >> a mon égard un
                          >> tas d'imformations consernant le monde apicol j'en serai tres ravis ,
                          >> seulement sachez
                          >> que je ne communique que en utilisant la longue française .
                          >> merci
                          >
                          >> Melissa Harris <melarris@...> wrote:
                          >> Hello RJ,
                          >
                          >> I like the book, "Beekeeping for Dummies" very much. The pictures are
                          >> excellent and it is easy to follow. The reason that I bought the book
                          >> last year was the way that the "Dummies" book is set up. It begins
                          >> with a very detailed description of installing package bees and
                          >> follows what to look for with each progressing week after
                          >> installation. (There is also a pictorial showing the installation as
                          >> well..) This worked great for me, as I had no help in the remote area
                          >> where I live and I was able to do the whole procedure by myself.
                          >
                          >> Melissa
                          >

                          >>>Would anyone recommend the book "Bee Keeping for Dummies?"
                          >>>

                          >>>RJ
                          >

                          >> Découvrez le nouveau Yahoo! Mail : 250 Mo d'espace de stockage pour vos
                          >> mails !
                          >> Créez votre Yahoo! Mail
                          >> Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                          >

                          >> Yahoo! Groups Links
                          >

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Rick Johnson
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 12, 2005
                            good evening, I am well in love with the bees, and I will like to know some of advantage, I exert a small animal breeding, and I learned much has through, but more one live more one only discover nouveaut�es thus if you wish to divide has my regard a heap of imformations consernant the world apicol I will be very charmed by it, will know that I do not state that by using the long Frenchwoman

                            > bonsoir , je suis bien un amoureux des abeilles , et j'aimerai bien en savoir
                            > d'avantage , j'exerce un petit �levage , et j'ai beaucoup appris a travers , mais plus
                            > on vis plus on d�couvres des nouveaut�es donc si vous souhaitez partager a mon �gard un
                            > tas d'imformations consernant le monde apicol j'en serai tres ravis , seulement sachez
                            > que je ne communique que en utilisant la longue fran�aise .
                            >                                                                                         merci

                            http://mail.yahoo.com

                          • davidbrowder
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 12, 2005
                              Youuns ain't frum round heah r ya??
                              good evening, I am well in love with the bees, and I will like to know some of advantage, I exert a small animal breeding, and I learned much has through, but more one live more one only discover nouveautées thus if you wish to divide has my regard a heap of imformations consernant the world apicol I will be very charmed by it, will know that I do not state that by using the long Frenchwoman

                              > bonsoir , je suis bien un amoureux des abeilles , et j'aimerai bien en savoir
                              > d'avantage , j'exerce un petit élevage , et j'ai beaucoup appris a travers , mais plus
                              > on vis plus on découvres des nouveautées donc si vous souhaitez partager a mon égard un
                              > tas d'imformations consernant le monde apicol j'en serai tres ravis , seulement sachez
                              > que je ne communique que en utilisant la longue française .
                              >                                                                                         merci

                              http://mail.yahoo.com

                            • Domhnall Seaghdha
                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 12, 2005
                                While I will that you know I have never longed to be a French woman in ANY state, though surely I am charming and have divided my apical information into one world-regarded heap of concern...  I have probably learned much of novel discoveries through living a long life as I exert myself in breeding with small animals -- that I LOVE bees who like to "know" has well been an advantage!  Good evening...

                                good evening, I am well in love with the bees, and I will like to know some of advantage, I exert a small animal breeding, and I learned much has through, but more one live more one only discover nouveautées thus if you wish to divide has my regard a heap of imformations consernant the world apicol I will be very charmed by it, will know that I do not state that by using the long Frenchwoman

                                > bonsoir , je suis bien un amoureux des abeilles , et j'aimerai bien en savoir
                                > d'avantage , j'exerce un petit élevage , et j'ai beaucoup appris a travers , mais plus
                                > on vis plus on découvres des nouveautées donc si vous souhaitez partager a mon égard un
                                > tas d'imformations consernant le monde apicol j'en serai tres ravis , seulement sachez
                                > que je ne communique que en utilisant la longue française .
                                >                                                                                         merci

                                http://mail.yahoo.com

                              • Domhnall Seaghdha
                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 12, 2005
                                  Noooope....  I SHURELY  ain't....

                                  I am figgaeuring zhat as I put out myself honeyed to the vicissitudes of  zees groop, which do be apically oriented and inclined basely,  we can all learn from hour mootchewill experiences and avoiding ze stingairs of ze bonnetted bees to our interesting bests.

                                  I am luking forwaird to being amicably into zees group and zee fallowing deescussiones on zee bees and zee workairs and zee dwones out of zee hives...

                                  good evening, I am well in love with the bees, and I will like to know some of advantage, I exert a small animal breeding, and I learned much has through, but more one live more one only discover nouveautées thus if you wish to divide has my regard a heap of imformations consernant the world apicol I will be very charmed by it, will know that I do not state that by using the long Frenchwoman

                                  > bonsoir , je suis bien un amoureux des abeilles , et j'aimerai bien en savoir
                                  > d'avantage , j'exerce un petit élevage , et j'ai beaucoup appris a travers , mais plus
                                  > on vis plus on découvres des nouveautées donc si vous souhaitez partager a mon égard un
                                  > tas d'imformations consernant le monde apicol j'en serai tres ravis , seulement sachez
                                  > que je ne communique que en utilisant la longue française .
                                  >                                                                                         merci

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                                • henrytrt
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 12, 2005
                                    --- U gotta b a furener..In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "Domhnall
                                    Seaghdha" <domhnall@v...> wrote:
                                    > Noooope.... I SHURELY ain't....
                                    >
                                    > I am figgaeuring zhat as I put out myself honeyed to the
                                    vicissitudes of zees groop, which do be apically oriented and
                                    inclined basely, we can all learn from hour mootchewill experiences
                                    and avoiding ze stingairs of ze bonnetted bees to our interesting
                                    bests.

                                    > I am luking forwaird to being amicably into zees group and zee
                                    fallowing deescussiones on zee bees and zee workairs and zee dwones
                                    out of zee hives...

                                    of Service.
                                  • M Nist
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Mar 12, 2005
                                      Phil

                                      Do you really think a "long Frenchwoman" "will know that you do not state that"?

                                      :p

                                      --Madeleine

                                    • aceinthehole
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Mar 12, 2005