Frames

  • longbeardedsqueaver
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 18, 2005
      I've been interested in keeping bees for years, but for
      the most of it, I'm new. I got my first hive for Christmas and I have
      been trying to get it assembled for some bees in the late winter or
      early spring.
      My question here concerns the frames. I know the frames
      need to be assembled properly or I'll have trouble down the road when
      I need to extract them, but the box of frames that I received had no
      instructions as to how they were to be nailed together. It was easy
      enough to figure out how the top portion needed to be nailed. The
      thing I need to know is how to attach the bottom bar to keep the
      Plasticell foundation from falling out.... Is there a special way
      to attach it? I am assuming the Plasticell foundation is removed
      from the frame at some point during processing for honey.

      Any advice appreciated
      Keith
    • davidbrowder
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 19, 2005
        Getting one of those form boards would be nice, but you can do without it.
        First, soak the frames in water so they won't split from the nails and
        tacks. Then glue it together, afterwhich nail the top and bottom bars to
        the end bars both HORIZONTALLY AND VERTICALLY. I only nail one side of each
        corner of the bottom bars cause the're prone to split. If ya take care of
        em they'll last forever, I still got a couple of frames my Grandaddy made
        during the 1930s. Been buying those all plastic Piercos frames for my Brood
        boxes lately though.
        > I've been interested in keeping bees for years, but for
        > the most of it, I'm new. I got my first hive for Christmas and I have
        > been trying to get it assembled for some bees in the late winter or
        > early spring.
        > My question here concerns the frames. I know the frames
        > need to be assembled properly or I'll have trouble down the road when
        > I need to extract them, but the box of frames that I received had no
        > instructions as to how they were to be nailed together. It was easy
        > enough to figure out how the top portion needed to be nailed. The
        > thing I need to know is how to attach the bottom bar to keep the
        > Plasticell foundation from falling out.... Is there a special way
        > to attach it? I am assuming the Plasticell foundation is removed
        > from the frame at some point during processing for honey.
        >
        > Any advice appreciated
        > Keith
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • longbeardedsqueaver
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 19, 2005
          Thank you. That helps me a lot.
        • Donald Israel
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 20, 2005
            The entire frame with foundation is put in the extractor. Once it is glued and put togather, it is married for life.  Some companies sell better wooden ware than others.  The difference in the wood makes a huge difference in the splitting.  I jusr ordered new frames .  I have several from a Western seller that split because the grain is curly.  If you like,  I tell you my favorites.

            Don

            longbeardedsqueaver <longbeardedsqueaver@...> wrote:

[...]

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • longbeardedsqueaver
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 20, 2005
              The frames I bought were White pine. What do you prefer?

              Keith
            • Alan
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 16, 2010
                Mike I have just made some third frame mini nucs to raise queens in next year and I made the frames for these. Takes a bit of doing , but it passes the time on
              • Alan
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 20, 2010
                  Mike in L.A have you started making your frames yet what you up to
                  Alan