Bees Not Eating The Sugar Syrup

  • Clint D
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 15, 2005
      I have a natural hive going in my shop from last year, I plan on
      moving them in
      april to a new hive box.

      lately we have had some pretty cold weather off and on, (north
      Texas) anyway, I
      had though I lost the hive because it is kind of small and did not
      see any bees
      after the first couple of cold spells, this week we got up in the
      70's a couple of
      days and I had bees everywhere

      First off, I am totally new to bee keeping and this will be my first
      start.
      I put out a little feeder with some sugar water, 2:1. It does not
      look like the
      bess are attracted to the sugar water, they are flying all around it
      and even
      seen one on top of the plastic jar feeder but never seen any eating
      any. the level
      has not dropped but I know it is working because some has run out
      into the plate I
      have it setting in.
      These guys built their hive inside an old card board box and I cannot
      put the
      feeder at the entrance because of no flat area, but have it about two
      feet away
      and above the hive

      any reasons the bees are not going to the sugar water? I also put out
      some soy
      flour pollen that I made a couple of patties with sugar water and
      then sprinkle
      some flour around also, but they are not going to it either?

      Clint