Re: [beekeeping] RE:Plants for bees (and the mountain mint question)

  • Ted Flower
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 28, 2005
      Hi I live 600 miles north of Melbourne on the east coast of Australia the weather is pretty mild because we live on the coast the rain is pretty much spread over the year with Feb the wet month we have approx 48 inches per year.most of our honey comes from eucalyptus trees not ground cover. our honey season starts in sept and goes though to march.any way thanks for the information.
      Ted

      Djubaya <DJUBAYA@...> wrote:
      I had a 'Blonde' moment... I thought I was sending this to my local 'Bee
      Group' here in Sonoma County. So all the references I made were to our
      local area and climate. Although the climate here is very similar to
      Melbourne Oz. Except I believe your wet season is in the summer? Yes?

      And 'yes' I am Blonde so don't send hate letters...

      Djubaya

      ***********

      From: Ted Flower <tedflower2004@...>
      Subject: Re: Plants for bees (and the mountain mint question)

      thanks for your information I'm in Australia and the local name are not
      always the same. Ted

      I think you are referring to Yerba Buena (Micromeria chamissonis)...
      could not find images on the web but here is a good descriptive site...

      http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/arr_html?Micromeria+chamissonis&CAN=
      COMIND

      Deborah did a study on the herb growing at Catchtail Gardens, wild and
      domesticated... my favorites for bees are as follows...

      Korean Mint (Agastache rugosa) it flowers from spring to late fall and
      is always covered with bees. It also seems to be rather drought
      tolerent. This year it is becoming a main element in our garden.

      Yarrow (Achillea millefolium) is always great.

      Mustard (Brassica nigra) is a main stay

      Wild Radish (Raphanus sativus)

      Pennyroyal (Mentha pulegium)

      Comfrey (Symphytum officionale)

      Any of the Mints and Sages are a good bet. the Apiaceae family (umbles.
      Fennel/Dill/Queen Anne's Lace) is fantastic for WASPS which do as much
      (if not more) pollinating of fruit/berries and vegi's than Bees)

      Here is a link to our 'Catchtail Herb walk'

      http://www.catchtail.com/courses/herbwalk/index.html

      Djubaya & Deborah