Plants for bees (and the mountain mint question)

  • Djubaya
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 27, 2005
      Plants for bees (and the mountain mint question)

      In a message dated 1/26/2005 4:22:52 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,

      beekeeping@yahoogroups.com writes:

      Hi just wondering what is the botanical name for mountain mint?

      I think you are referring to Yerba Buena (Micromeria chamissonis)... could not find images on the web but here is a good descriptive site...

      http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/arr_html?Micromeria+chamissonis&CAN=COMIND

      Deborah did a study on the herb growing at Catchtail Gardens, wild and domesticated... my favorites for bees are as follows...

      Korean Mint (Agastache rugosa) it flowers from spring to late fall and is always covered with bees. It also seems to be rather drought tolerent. This year it is becoming a main element in our garden.

      Yarrow (Achillea millefolium) is always great.

      Mustard (Brassica nigra) is a main stay

      Wild Radish (Raphanus sativus)

      Pennyroyal (Mentha pulegium)

      Comfrey (Symphytum officionale)

      Any of the Mints and Sages are a good bet… the Apiaceae family (umbles… Fennel/Dill/Queen Anne's Lace) is fantastic for WASPS which do as much (if not more) pollinating of fruit/berries and vegi's than Bees)

      Here is a link to our 'Catchtail Herb walk'

      http://www.catchtail.com/courses/herbwalk/index.html

      Djubaya & Deborah

    • hersomr
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 27, 2005
        I just happened to be browsing through the Johnny's Seed
        Catalog and saw a listing for Mountain Mint - Pycnanthemum
        pilosum.
        The last time I visited the St. Louis Botanical Gardens I saw a
        plant which was labeled Slender Mountain Mint and it was
        covered with bees. I didn't get the botanical name so I don't know
        i f they are the same plant or not.
        Cheryl

        --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "Djubaya"
        <DJUBAYA@C...> wrote:
        > In a message dated 1/26/2005 4:22:52 A.M. Pacific Standard
        Time,
        > beekeeping@yahoogroups.com writes:
        >
        > Hi just wondering what is the botanical name for mountain
        mint?

      • Ted Flower
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 27, 2005
          thanks for your information I'm in Australia and the local name are not always the same.
          Ted

          Djubaya <DJUBAYA@...> wrote:

[...]

          Any of the Mints and Sages are a good betÂ… the Apiaceae family (umblesÂ… Fennel/Dill/Queen Anne's Lace) is fantastic for WASPS which do as much (if not more) pollinating of fruit/berries and vegi's than Bees)

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 28, 2005
            I had a 'Blonde' moment... I thought I was sending this to my local 'Bee
            Group' here in Sonoma County. So all the references I made were to our
            local area and climate. Although the climate here is very similar to
            Melbourne Oz. Except I believe your wet season is in the summer? Yes?

            And 'yes' I am Blonde so don't send hate letters...

            Djubaya