Re-queening

  • Susan Jordan
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 1999
      Hi, I was speaking to a beekeeper about making queens, he said that you take
      capped brood and "mark" it with notches in the sides of the comb and she
      will be born a queen. I imagine I have forgotten some steps, but has anyone
      heard of this method, if so, details please.

      Susan Jordan
    • tiffany n osander
      Message 2 of 2 , May 31, 1999
        I have never heard of this, but it just doesn't sit right with me. You
        might ask if this is something he has *done*, or simply something he has
        *heard*. It could be some sort of "wives-tale" or beekeeper's tale as the
        case may be. The most important thing to remember is that *bees* make
        queens, not people. As far as I know the only way to "make" a queen is to
        deprive a hive of it's queen and they will either die off or start making
        queen cells. Then you can intervene and care for the queens yourself once
        the queen cells are well established. Becoming a queen has nothing to do
        with "notches", it has to do with what the workers feed the larvae. You
        really should buy a good book about queen-rearing before you attempt such
        a thing. And of course your bees are the ultimate experts. If you need to
        re-queen maybe you could buy one if there are no queen cells in your hive
        already.
        TIFFANY osander@...
        mom, student, massage therapist, beekeeper,
        apprentice fire dancer, cometgoddess
        "Leave a little to nature; she understands her business better than we
        do."
        -Montaigne, Essays, 1595

        or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]