They're ALIVE!!!!

  • bentoakfarms@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2005
      Not really! But, want to hear something really weird??? Remember I told you that I starved my bees? Well, I brought down the hive yesterday to get it cleaned up. I took it apart to bring it down, took the supers off of each other and took out some of the frames to examine them for damage. I put the hive in my jeep with the lid off and the two supers sitting side by side. The only thing in that hive was a few dead bees. I set the hive on my husband's trailer parked by his garage but put the hive back together so the dogs and chickens wouldn't get into it and destroy my frames. That was yesterday.

      Today, about 20 minutes ago, my husband called me outside and told me to look at the hive. People.....there are hundreds of bees in that hive!!!! They are flying in and out of it and they are everywhere!!! Talk about shocked and tickled to death!!! My husband asked how in the world I drove with that hive in the jeep and I can't seem to convince him that hive was completely empty when I brought it down. I brought it down taken apart. If there were bees in it, I would have known....believe me. And a colony does not leave the hive with no bees left in the hive. The drones always stay home with the queen.

      A swarm from somewhere has found my empty hive and set up house!!! I was so down about losing my hive and God sent me another!!!! I'm so tickled over this I just can't believe it! The miracle is that I moved the hive from it's original spot about the length of 2 football fields away. Yet, a scout bee found it. Had I not moved it, the little scout probably would have never found it. I'm so thrilled. Oh....hold on.....I'm going to go get a picture and show you all! lol

      Ok...got the pictures. Now David and I need to figure out what to do with the new hive....either move it up with the old one or move the old one down closer to the house and set them both up together. Either way, we have to wait until this evening when they all go in for the night. But, I'm just really happy about it either way. lol........Joy

      --
      Bent Oak Farms & Collies
      Member ETCC, ORKC, SMDGA, ETHF, ACBA, TBA, SMHEA & HSLDA
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2005
        Wow! great news :)

        So you people in Tennessee are still actively working your hives? Here in NJ we're hanging on until March. We might
        see our bees when the temperatures go above 50 F but they're just out for cleansing flights.

        I guess it won't take them long to clean out any of the dead bees from the original hive. Keep us posted on the
        progress of your new bees.

        --Madeleine

        > Not really!  But, want to hear something really weird???  Remember I told you that I starved my
        bees?  > Well, I brought down the hive yesterday to get it cleaned up.  I took it apart to bring it down, took the
        supers > off of each other and took out some of the frames to examine them for damage.  I put the hive in my jeep
        with the > lid off and the two supers sitting side by side.  The only thing in that hive was a few dead bees.  I
        set the > hive on my husband's trailer parked by his garage but put the hive back together so the dogs and chickens
        > wouldn't get into it and destroy my frames.  That was yesterday.

        > Today, about 20 minutes ago, my husband called me outside and told me to look at the hive.  People.....there
        > are hundreds of bees in that hive!!!!  They are flying in and out of it and they are everywhere!!!  Talk about
        > shocked and tickled to death!!!  My husband asked how in the world I drove with that hive in the jeep and I can't
        > seem to convince him that hive was completely empty when I brought it down.  I brought it down taken apart.  If
        > there were bees in it, I would have known....believe me.   And a colony does not leave the hive with no bees left
        > in the hive.  The drones always stay home with the queen.

        > A swarm from somewhere has found my empty hive and set up house!!!  I was so down about losing my hive and
        > God sent me another!!!!  I'm so tickled over this I just can't believe it!  The miracle is that I moved the hive
        > from it's original spot about the length of 2 football fields away.  Yet, a scout bee found it.  Had I not moved
        > it, the little scout probably would have never found it.  I'm so thrilled.  Oh....hold on.....I'm going to go get
        > a picture and show you all!  lol

        > Ok...got the pictures.  Now David and I need to figure out what to do with the new hive....either move it up
        > with the old one or move the old one down closer to the house and set them both up together.  Either way, we have
        > to wait until this evening when they all go in for the night.  But, I'm just really happy about it either way.
        > lol........Joy

        > --
        > Bent Oak Farms & Collies
        > Member ETCC, ORKC, SMDGA, ETHF, ACBA, TBA, SMHEA & HSLDA
        > www.geocities.com/bentoakcollies2003/
        > Lake City, TN

        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        >   To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
        >   Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
      • Scot Mc Pherson
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2005
          Well a handful of bees can number more than 1000. Do you remember what
          your package of bees looked like? When the bees tightly cluster they
          don't take up much room. About 1,500 bees to a Lb by rough reckoning
          seems to be accepted, and I know I can hold 1lb of bees in the cupped
          palms of my hands if I so desired.

          Scot Mc Pherson