Blastic bags

  • shafai ashor
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 11, 2004

      Dear

      It is very nice to share you this group ,,

      We here in the Middle East have temperate climate and short spring season ..

      So the bee is not activated nearly In the end of spring,, and in a few days there are no enough flower .

      I wonder, could we use a black blastic bags (rubbish bags ) to warm the hive by place it on the top of each hive under the cover and over the cloth cover�

      This is for early activation �.

      Some people said that the plastic bags will increase the humidity and may cause some diseases,,

      Also I wonder  , if I could expose the hives to the sun in clear days (Temperature ~ 19 c  ) ,, I remove the hard cover and stay the cloth cover I do this for 1 � 4 hours and  nearly 2 � 4 in a  month .

      Thank you for your replay �

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • davidbrowder
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 11, 2004
        I use 55 Gallon size black plastic bags when cold snaps come in the winter here in North Carolina, U.S.A. (A COLD SNAP to me in the teens, FAHRENHEIT.), and sometimes during spring buildup in early spring.  The 55 gallon size slides right over the whole hive. Take em off when it starts to warm up though. It is all too true that high humidity in the hive is worse than low temperatures. Don't know bout the "exposing the hive to the sun " thing.
        It is very nice to share you this group ,,

        We here in the Middle East have temperate climate and short spring season ..

        So the bee is not activated nearly In the end of spring,, and in a few days there are no enough flower .

        I wonder, could we use a black blastic bags (rubbish bags ) to warm the hive by place it on the top of each hive under the cover and over the cloth cover…

        This is for early activation ….

        Some people said that the plastic bags will increase the humidity and may cause some diseases,,

        Also I wonder  , if I could expose the hives to the sun in clear days (Temperature ~ 19 ú c  ) ,, I remove the hard cover and stay the cloth cover I do this for 1 – 4 hours and  nearly 2 – 4 in a  month .

        Thank you for your replay …

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • Martin Rebane
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 11, 2004
          My policy, on the contrary, is to use plastic bags during the active
          period of bees (from the spring to the autumn).

          Why? Because humidity kills. On the other hand, in the summer and
          especially in the spring, the biggest problem that hinders the
          development, is temperature.

          So why I do not use plastic in the winter? Because in the wintertime, bees
          can not ventilate the hive and the humidity caused by the plastic can
          easily kill them. In the wintertime, the temperature is not a problem for
          the bees - because their needs are low and they are able to fulfill their
          requirements easily. But even if they wished - under no circumstances they
          can not ventilate the hive.

          Why a plastic bag during the spring-summer-autumn? Because bees are
          developing during that period. They need to keep high temperatures in the
          hive. Three times higher than they did in the winter. So a forced air
          circulation cools the hive and bees need to do more work to keep the
          temperature, so they need every help they can. But they are able to
          control the humidity easily! Causing an air circulation for them is not a
          problem - they ventilate the hive via entrance!

          So: NOT using plastic bags during the winter prevents humidity, using them
          in summer, helps them to keep the temperature.

          Sometimes (during the summer) when I have a large hive, I use a small
          second entrance in the top of the hive. That way bees have two entrances
          they can use for a ventilation, but unlike the state where air comes
          in/goes out between the hive body and the top, they are able to close the
          2nd entrance whenever they like.

          Just my way :)
          Martin