Re: [beekeeping] Re: AFB cleanup

  • Shanta McBain
    Message 1 of 39 , Oct 27, 2004
      On Tuesday 26 October 2004 08:21 pm, dickbeekeeper wrote:
      > --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Shanta McBain <shanta@f...> wrote:
      > > Washing is usually good enough as you use lots of water detergent and it
      > > gets rinsed away.
      >
      > I fully agree, a good washing will be sufficient. Is washing going to rid
      > clothing of every single spore though? What puzzles me now is that you guys
      > were arguing just a few weeks back that only 7 spores would cause an
      > outbreak of AFB. ;>)

      True 7 spores in the gut of a bee will cause an out break. The odds of a bee
      getting a spore from your washed cloths is vary slim. Getting a spores from
      contaminated comb, honey etc VARY high. Getting enough to cause an infection
      in a Genetically Hygienic hive not great. In a ordinary hive Astronomical.
      The closer the spores are to the food that the bees feed the larvae the
      greater the chance of infection.

      You are playing a numbers game on the exposure. The real goal is to select for
      and purchase GH bees.
      --
      Thanks
      Shanta McBain
      Message 39 of 39 , Nov 21, 2004
        Man, we are getting old.
        A single mesage talks about hippies, and everyone is responding.
        Lets use all this energy to exchange knowledge instead of talking about the past.
        I am an old hippie too, but wouldn't it be nice, if we could use our knowledge as beekepers to make everyone more environmentally aware.
        Talking about invironment, in Denmark (where I live) whe are very succesfull using organic acids to control varroa (about 95%, as good as pesticides) , and so far we have had no problems with varroa being resitant to the treatment. So we have no residues in the honey/wax, and it works.
        If you are interinterested in a enviromentally safe way to fight varroa, I will poste it on this site.

        I dont't know if it is a problem in the USA, but here we had a problem with beekeepers tending to die - to many was as old as I (53) and older, but now we have turned it around by helping new bekeepers getting started. The local beekeepers associations lets new beekeepers tend their own hives under supervision of experiensed beekeepers.

        Travelling across the states on a Harley with the wind going through the hair, that once was, is the greatest.

        Khan