Bees Attack Soda Can

  • eilflbk
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 5, 2004
      Hi all,

      I was putting meds in hives on Sat. and one hive I have is
      particularly aggressive. I opened the cover and bees starting
      rushing out and attacked a red coke can I had set on the hive next to
      it about 2' from it. Any thoughts?

      Thanks.

      Eileen in FL
    • david flathman
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 6, 2004
        i say we replace that queen.

        eilflbk <Eifl@...> wrote:

        Hi all,

        I was putting meds in hives on Sat. and one hive I have is
        particularly aggressive.  I opened the cover and bees starting
        rushing out and attacked a red coke can I had set on the hive next to
        it about 2' from it.  Any thoughts?

        Thanks.

        Eileen in FL

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • Matthew
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 6, 2004
          late in the season, my ladies are particularly
          aggressive towards 'nectar' sources (soda, sugar
          water, spilled honey, etc). is there any "real" nectar
          coming in?

          If the hive is normally more aggressive that what you
          like, then i would requeen RIGHT NOW (before winter!),
          otherwise i would not worry too much about it.

          matthew

          --- eilflbk <Eifl@...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          >
          > I was putting meds in hives on Sat. and one hive I
          > have is
          > particularly aggressive. I opened the cover and
          > bees starting
          > rushing out and attacked a red coke can I had set on
          > the hive next to
          > it about 2' from it. Any thoughts?
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > Eileen in FL

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • jens_khan
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 6, 2004
            If the bees in the mentioned hive usually are peacefull, there is no
            reason to do anything. It is normal that bees go for any sugar source
            when nectar sources are low.

            --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "eilflbk" <Eifl@c...> wrote:

            > Hi all,
            >
            > I was putting meds in hives on Sat. and one hive I have is
            > particularly aggressive. I opened the cover and bees starting
            > rushing out and attacked a red coke can I had set on the hive next
            > it about 2' from it. Any thoughts?
            >
            > Thanks.
            >
            > Eileen in FL
          • eilflbk
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 11, 2004
              Hi David,
              Thanks for your advice.

              Eileen

              --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, david flathman <flathmand@y...>
              wrote:
              > i say we replace that queen.
              >

              > eilflbk <Eifl@c...> wrote:
              >
              > Hi all,
              >
              > I was putting meds in hives on Sat. and one hive I have is
              > particularly aggressive. I opened the cover and bees starting
              > rushing out and attacked a red coke can I had set on the hive next
              > it about 2' from it. Any thoughts?
              >
              > Thanks.
              >
              > Eileen in FL
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              Service.

              > Y! Messenger - Communicate in real time. Download now.
            • eilflbk
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 11, 2004
                Thank you, Matthew. Not sure I can find one at this time of year,
                but worth a try.

                Eileen

                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 11, 2004
                  Hi Jens,

                  The bees in this particular hive tend to come out in large groups. I
                  am wondering if they are part African! When I open the lid, the
                  cracking sound of it seems to get them upset and they start buzzing.
                  When I look in the hive there are groups of them coming up to the top
                  of the frames to see what is going on. LOL I've been smoking them
                  when they get too aggressive and that drives 'em back. I make sure I
                  keep the top cover away from me when I am feeding them because there
                  are lots on the inside of it.

                  Thanks.

                  Eileen

                  --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "jens_khan" <jens_khan@h...> wrote:

                  > If the bees in the mentioned hive usually are peacefull, there is
                  no
                  > reason to do anything. It is normal that bees go for any sugar
                  source
                  > when nectar sources are low.
                  >
                  > --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "eilflbk" <Eifl@c...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi all,
                  > >
                  > > I was putting meds in hives on Sat. and one hive I have is
                  > > particularly aggressive. I opened the cover and bees starting
                  > > rushing out and attacked a red coke can I had set on the hive
                  next
                  > > it about 2' from it. Any thoughts?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks.
                  > >
                  > > Eileen in FL
                • david flathman
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 12, 2004
                    my gut feeling is to requeen.

                    eilflbk <Eifl@...> wrote:

                    Hi Jens,

                    The bees in this particular hive tend to come out in large groups.  I
                    am wondering if they are part African!  When I open the lid, the
                    cracking sound of it seems to get them upset and they start buzzing.
                    When I look in the hive there are groups of them coming up to the top
                    of the frames to see what is going on. LOL  I've been smoking them
                    when they get too aggressive and that drives 'em back.  I make sure I
                    keep the top cover away from me when I am feeding them because there
                    are lots on the inside of it.

                    Thanks.

                    Eileen

                    --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "jens_khan" <jens_khan@h...> wrote:

                    > If the bees in the mentioned hive usually are peacefull, there is
                    no
                    > reason to do anything. It is normal that bees go for any sugar
                    source
                    > when nectar sources are low.
                    >
                    > --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "eilflbk" <Eifl@c...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi all,
                    > >
                    > > I was putting meds in hives on Sat. and one hive I have is
                    > > particularly aggressive.  I opened the cover and bees starting
                    > > rushing out and attacked a red coke can I had set on the hive
                    next
                    > > it about 2' from it.  Any thoughts?
                    > >
                    > > Thanks.
                    > >
                    > > Eileen in FL

                    Do you Yahoo!?

                  • jens_khan
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 13, 2004
                      Bees coming out in large groups can be bees from other hives robbing
                      your hive. Robbing bees tend to come out in groups, when the hive is
                      disturbed.
                      Is the hive strong?

                      --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "eilflbk" <Eifl@c...> wrote:

                      > Hi Jens,
                      >
                      > The bees in this particular hive tend to come out in large groups.
                      > am wondering if they are part African! When I open the lid, the
                      > cracking sound of it seems to get them upset and they start
                      buzzing.
                      > When I look in the hive there are groups of them coming up to the
                      top
                      > of the frames to see what is going on. LOL I've been smoking them
                      > when they get too aggressive and that drives 'em back. I make sure
                      > keep the top cover away from me when I am feeding them because
                      there
                      > are lots on the inside of it.
                      >
                      > Thanks.
                      >
                      > Eileen
                      >

                      > --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "jens_khan" <jens_khan@h...>
                      wrote:

                      > > If the bees in the mentioned hive usually are peacefull, there is
                      > no
                      > > reason to do anything. It is normal that bees go for any sugar
                      > source
                      > > when nectar sources are low.
                      > >
                      > > --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "eilflbk" <Eifl@c...> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Hi all,
                      > > >
                      > > > I was putting meds in hives on Sat. and one hive I have is
                      > > > particularly aggressive. I opened the cover and bees starting
                      > > > rushing out and attacked a red coke can I had set on the hive
                      > next
                      > > > it about 2' from it. Any thoughts?
                      > > >
                      > > > Thanks.
                      > > >
                      > > > Eileen in FL
                    • Todd Humphries
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 17, 2004
                        Hi Eileen,

                        I just joined this group and was going to read through the archives
                        before I made my offical introduction. However I had to jump in and
                        see if I could help you out.
                        It is a little late in the year but Bolling Bee Farms in Alabama may
                        still be shipping queens. They raise only Mountain Gray Caucasians
                        (very gentle bees) their number is (334)437-2429

                        Hope this helps.
                        Todd in SC

                        --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "eilflbk" <Eifl@c...> wrote:

                        > Thank you, Matthew. Not sure I can find one at this time of year,
                        > but worth a try.
                        >
                        > Eileen
                      • eilflbk
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 4, 2004
                          Hi Jens,
                          This was one incident. The one hive the bees came out of is very
                          strong. Might be because they were hungry, though they have almost 2
                          supers full of food. Thanks.

                        • eilflbk
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 4, 2004
                            Hi Todd,
                            Thanks for the information. Would an Italian hive accept a Caucasian
                            queen? Do Caucasians have the same habits as Italians?

                            Eileen

                            --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "Todd Humphries" <poultry@t...>
                            wrote:

                            > Hi Eileen,
                            >
                            > I just joined this group and was going to read through the archives
                            > before I made my offical introduction. However I had to jump in and
                            > see if I could help you out.
                            > It is a little late in the year but Bolling Bee Farms in Alabama
                            may
                            > still be shipping queens. They raise only Mountain Gray Caucasians
                            > (very gentle bees) their number is (334)437-2429
                            >
                            > Hope this helps.
                            > Todd in SC
                            >

                            > --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "eilflbk" <Eifl@c...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Thank you, Matthew. Not sure I can find one at this time of
                            year,
                            > > but worth a try.
                            > >
                            > > Eileen
                          • jens_khan
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 6, 2004
                              You can use any race of bees, when you requeen. I have requeened with
                              Ligustica (Italian) in Buckfast-families and with Carnica in
                              Ligustica-families and used Buckfast queens in Carnica and Ligustica
                              families.
                              Just make sure, thar the bees are ready to recieve the new queen.
                              You can find a very good way to requeen on this adress:
                              http://www.algonet.se/~beeman/biodling/req-nf.htm

                              Jens

                              --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "eilflbk" <Eifl@c...> wrote:

                              > Hi Todd,
                              > Thanks for the information. Would an Italian hive accept a
                              Caucasian
                              > queen? Do Caucasians have the same habits as Italians?
                              >

                              > Eileen

                            • eilflbk
                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 13, 2004
                                Jens,

                                Thank you very much for the information. The link is very helpful
                                also.