RE: [beekeeping] honey extractor

  • Alan Schultz
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 30, 2004
      Crystal Bee supply, Vinnnie Gaglione, has rentals about 35-40 minutes south of you off of 95 , 1-978-535-1622

      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 4, 2004
        --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "Joan Lanum" <indycats@p...> wrote:
        > Looking for a small extractor as I have only one hive and am a beginner. Any
        recommendations or availability? I am located in NH on the ME border.

        Hi Joan:

        If you want a new one, Dadant sells small extractors for people with 1 or 2 hives. Their 2
        frame tangential model runs about $220 or $260 with stand. Tangential extractors require
        a bit more work since they extract only one side of a frame at a time. Radial extractors will
        do both sides at once, but more $$$. Dadant's closest branch to you is in Waverly, NY. If
        you are not in a real hurry, an extractor that size could probably be shipped parcel post
        through the post office for about $50.

        Here are a couple of good articles from the online archives of `The Mother Earth News' for
        frugal, scrounging, do-it-your-selfers.

        The article in this URL is text only and gives a general description on construction along
        with the pieces needed to build it.

        http://www.motherearthnews.com/arc/4644/

        This next URL has pictures and dimensioned plans. Also, this extractor uses the drive
        gear from a small outboard motor allowing you to operate the crank in the vertical plane
        rather than horizontally.

        http://www.motherearthnews.com/arc/6416/

        Regards,
        Dick Allen
      • susan_zion
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 28, 2009
          OMG!! can I do it by hand? Is there a way to extract honey without
          paying 700.00 to buy one? Holy moly batman. The bees are on the way and
          Idon't want to screw this up. I have beekeeping for dummies, will look
          in there but why reinvent the wheel.

          Thanx

          Suz
        • axeman axeman
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 28, 2009
            I bought one of those Italian extractors from Betterbee several years ago.
            I have not had any problems with it and I believe it's under 400.

            Alan, Lakeview, NY

            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 28, 2009
              Don't know where you are but I have an old galvanized (should have the
              inside coated with food grade coating camkote) I'd sell for 75 bux; can't
              recall if it's 2 frame or 4 but am pretty sure it's 2 frame. If you (or
              anyone else) is near enough and interested my direct email is bee_keeper at
              clearwire dot net.

              Lew Best near Waco, TX

              You wrote!

              OMG!! can I do it by hand? Is there a way to extract honey without
              paying 700.00 to buy one? Holy moly batman. The bees are on the way and
              Idon't want to screw this up. I have beekeeping for dummies, will look
              in there but why reinvent the wheel.

              Thanx

              Suz
            • Mike McDonald
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 28, 2009
                What you could do is contact your county beekeepers association. Most
                beekeepers are willing to loan an extractor.

                Mike

                On Sat, 2009-02-28 at 20:47 +0000, susan_zion wrote:
                > OMG!! can I do it by hand? Is there a way to extract honey without
                > paying 700.00 to buy one? Holy moly batman. The bees are on the way
                > and
                > Idon't want to screw this up. I have beekeeping for dummies, will
                > look
                > in there but why reinvent the wheel.

              • The Browns
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 1, 2009
                  You could hand press the foundation, but what a mess, not to mention the loss of valuable drawn comb. Like Mike said contacting your local association is a good idea.
                  JB
                  What you could do is contact your county beekeepers association. Most
                  beekeepers are willing to loan an extractor.

                  Mike

                  On Sat, 2009-02-28 at 20:47 +0000, susan_zion wrote:
                  > OMG!! can I do it by hand? Is there a way to extract honey without
                  > paying 700.00 to buy one? Holy moly batman. The bees are on the way
                  > and
                  > Idon't want to screw this up. I have beekeeping for dummies, will
                  > look
                  > in there but why reinvent the wheel.

                • russell spencer
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 1, 2009
                    Most smaller keepers enjoy teaching most will let you extract at there honey house ..and besides they are inspected....when I say smaller I mean from say 10 to 200 hives....and then there are places that will extract a semi load at abut .10 cents a lb......and they are inspected honey houses also

                    What you could do is contact your county beekeepers association. Most
                    beekeepers are willing to loan an extractor.

                    Mike

                    On Sat, 2009-02-28 at 20:47 +0000, susan_zion wrote:
                    > OMG!! can I do it by hand? Is there a way to extract honey without
                    > paying 700.00 to buy one? Holy moly batman. The bees are on the way
                    > and
                    > Idon't want to screw this up. I have beekeeping for dummies, will
                    > look
                    > in there but why reinvent the wheel.

                  • Terence Planke
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 1, 2009

                      > OMG!! can I do it by hand?

                      > Is there a way to extract honey without paying 700.00 to buy one?

                       Suz,

                        You have already received several helpful hints.

                        a.  Buy an inexpensive foreign-made model.

                        b.  Re-furbish an older galvanized model.

                        c. Borrow one from another beekeeper

                        Now comes......

                        d.  Build your own.  It is NOT that hard to do.

                             I built my own, using an idea from a bush mechanic in
                             South Africa.  He used parts that were available in his
                             village to do his fabrication.

                             With a Lowes and a Home Depot in close proximity to me
                             it was much easier for me then him, I am sure.  :-)

                            The result of my efforts is I now have an extractor that
                            cost me about $ 100.    $ 40 of that cost went to a fellow
                            to heliarc (weld) some aluminum for me.   If you can get
                            that done for nothing somehow, (friend, HS shop class, etc)
                            you can really save some money.

                                Some details.

                            It is a radial design
                           Will extract 9* shallows at a time.
                           Is easy to clean up after use.
                           The cost can be greatly reduced if some used parts are used.
                           It has one moving part..... the spinner.
                           It works great.     ;-)

                               *  A regular electric drill is used to spin the frame holder.
                                  My 3/8" drill will NOT handle a full load of 9 frames.
                                  I had to make a choice to buy a  1/2" drill .... or....
                                  cut back on the number of frames I load per cycle.
                                  I cut back to 3..... equally spaced.....  take about 2 minutes
                                  per 3 frames...... WIth no more hives then I have it goes
                                  pretty fast.

                                  The bottleneck is the uncapping routine.

                                  Hope that bush mechanic is working on THAT solution.     <GRIN>

                           If this is of interest to you let me know, off list if you want.

                           I forget your location but if you or anyone, are  close to
                           the Indianapolis area, perhaps we can get together and build
                           one or more, some afternoon.    Just a thought.

                           Not sure if I have pics stored but will find or shoot some if you are
                           still curious.  I believe I can find the original website if I need to.

                                                              -=- terry -=-

                    • roger
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 1, 2009
                        http://www.beesource.com/plans/extractor_4.htm
                        has plans for 4 and 8 frame extractors roger
                        Terence Planke <plater122@...> wrote:! can I do it by hand?

                        >        I built my own, using an idea from a bush mechanic in
                        >        South Africa.  He used parts that were available in his
                        >        village to do his fabrication.
                        >
                        >        With a Lowes and a Home Depot in close proximity to me
                        >        it was much easier for me then him, I am sure.  :-)
                      • susan oakes
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 1, 2009
                          Thank you for the offer. I am in Eastern Washington, probably too far. I found one on ebay I am bidding on that is not making my head spin around like the exorcist. I just have to suck it up. Used my tax return for bee suits, smoker, etc. Good Golly Miss Molly am I excited.

                          suz

                        • Lew Best
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 1, 2009

                            Should be pretty easy to find one much closer than mine; probably at least somewhere on the west coast!  I’d watch craigslist also.

                            Lew near Waco, TX

                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 1, 2009
                              Ok again I will insert foot...lets see I paid 1200 for my first 20 frame extractor...then I got a mentor who told me never buy new...so I advertised in lil nickle..wanted used beekeeping equipment..oh-yea...lots of answers and lots of equipment bought..for lil to nothing...75$ for a motorized 4 frame extractor...and 5 hives of bees..all doubles...sure I had to travel about 200 miles...then tried it again a few yrs later...walaaa a 60 frames extractor and complete processing honey house full of equipment...600$ ...including 2 honey pumps (food grade)
                                now I mentor some guess what 1 tried it humm 400 hive bodies in good shape...nothing wrong with them just ole beekeepers sometimes die...hobbiest get discourged...some just retire....look around you shall find what you need...nickle papers aare cheap and well a $ saved is another package this spring...GOOD LUCK

                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 1, 2009
                                Terry

                                How about a short stretch of nichrome wire and a doorbell
                                transformer to make a hotwire uncapper. I doubt it would have the the
                                fortitude to handle a commercial operation but for under $20 it would
                                be quick and easy to make.

                                Van
                                East Texas

                                >             The bottleneck is the uncapping routine.
                                >
                                >             Hope that bush mechanic is working on THAT solution.
                                <GRIN>

                              • Dave Cushman
                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 2, 2009
                                  Hi Terry

                                  > How about a short stretch of nichrome wire and a doorbell
                                  > transformer to make a hotwire uncapper. I doubt it would have the the
                                  > fortitude to handle a commercial operation but for under $20 it would
                                  > be quick and easy to make.

                                  I tried that thirty years ago... It did not work the comb absorbed so
                                  much heat the wire went cold immediately.

                                  I built a more robust version using a sharpened and polished hacksaw
                                  blade and a huge welding transformer, but the blade glowed red hot when
                                  not in contact with the comb and burnt/vapourised the honey that was on
                                  it and still got too cold to cut properly when in contact with the honey.

                                  Regards & Best 73s, Dave Cushman, G8MZY
                                  http://melliferabees.net Email: dave.cushman@...
                                  Short FallBack M/c, Build 7.21/2.01
                                  Son of ORAC M/c, Build 5.o1/2.o1
                                • Dwayne
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 2, 2009
                                    have you tryed a modle train transformer you can ajust the temp with
                                    the speed control

                                    Dwayne.S

                                    > > How about a short stretch of nichrome wire and a doorbell
                                    > > transformer to make a hotwire uncapper. I doubt it would have
                                    the the
                                    > > fortitude to handle a commercial operation but for under $20 it
                                    would
                                    > > be quick and easy to make.
                                    >
                                    > I tried that thirty years ago... It did not work the comb absorbed
                                    so
                                    > much heat the wire went cold immediately.
                                    >
                                    > I built a more robust version using a sharpened and polished
                                    hacksaw
                                    > blade and a huge welding transformer, but the blade glowed red hot
                                    when
                                    > not in contact with the comb and burnt/vapourised the honey that
                                    was on
                                    > it and still got too cold to cut properly when in contact with the
                                    honey.

                                  • Terence Planke
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009

                                      Then Dave said:

                                      I tried that thirty years ago... It did not work the comb absorbed so
                                      much heat the wire went cold immediately.

                                      Now Terry say:

                                         Well I had my hopes up for a short while.

                                         So are we out of ideas that might work?

                                         The train transformer seemed plausible but if the
                                         welder transform didn't work surely the train version
                                         would come up short also.

                                         What is the operating principle behind a
                                         store-bought hot knife.

                                         I am assuming there is a resistance heater inside
                                         that heats the air it is contact with which then
                                         heats the exterior surface of the knife.

                                         Perhaps there is some sort of heat transfer medium,
                                         other than air used, ceramic, fluid, gel, etc. .

                                         If that is the case they have to deal with expansion.  Hmmm!

                                         The search continues.........

                                                                       -=- terry -=-

                                    • Lew Best

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
                                          Hi Terence

                                          > I am assuming there is a resistance heater inside
                                          > that heats the air it is contact with which then
                                          > heats the exterior surface of the knife.

                                          Both ceramic and mica have been used in the past.

                                          Electric uncapping knives are fairly high wattage and are surprisingly
                                          slow in operation.

                                          The best results I had was with a steam powered knife made from nickel
                                          plated copper.

                                          --
                                          Regards & Best 73s, Dave Cushman, G8MZY
                                          http://melliferabees.net Email: dave.cushman@...
                                          Short FallBack M/c, Build 7.21/2.01
                                          Son of ORAC M/c, Build 5.o1/2.o1
                                        • c dj
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jul 16 9:46 AM
                                            9 frame kelley complete used 2 seasons ready to go to work.this peice is located in southren indiana 700 cash firm 812-390-5565