AFB honey

  • douglas vincent
    Message 1 of 39 , Sep 1, 2004
      my first post, so here goes. I found afb in my best hive.
      do I have to kill my bees and should I extract the honey?
      Thanks, Doug
    • Jens Jørgen Krag Hansen
      Message 39 of 39 , Nov 21, 2004
        Man, we are getting old.
        A single mesage talks about hippies, and everyone is responding.
        Lets use all this energy to exchange knowledge instead of talking about the past.
        I am an old hippie too, but wouldn't it be nice, if we could use our knowledge as beekepers to make everyone more environmentally aware.
        Talking about invironment, in Denmark (where I live) whe are very succesfull using organic acids to control varroa (about 95%, as good as pesticides) , and so far we have had no problems with varroa being resitant to the treatment. So we have no residues in the honey/wax, and it works.
        If you are interinterested in a enviromentally safe way to fight varroa, I will poste it on this site.

        I dont't know if it is a problem in the USA, but here we had a problem with beekeepers tending to die - to many was as old as I (53) and older, but now we have turned it around by helping new bekeepers getting started. The local beekeepers associations lets new beekeepers tend their own hives under supervision of experiensed beekeepers.

        Travelling across the states on a Harley with the wind going through the hair, that once was, is the greatest.

        Khan