Re: [beekeeping] forage planting

  • DOUG BENNETT
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2004
      Thanks for the response. I will give it a try and let you know. We are prone to early frost here.

      Buckwheat's one of the easiest things to grow. Puts out a lot of honey but some might not like the color and taste (I never could get people to buy it down here in NC). If ya sow in the next week or so you're pert much assured a good bloom well before Fall. Never tried this, but you might be able to plow it under when it goes to seed, plant again,and get a SECOND bloom before frost!!
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 6, 2004
        On July 30, 2004 04:27 pm, dougbwv wrote:
        > Can someone pont me in the direction of a list or tell me the names
        > of good forage plants for a small area. I have rtead thaT ANISE
        > HYSSOP is supposed to be a very good nectar plant. are there others
        > that I can work into my landscape? I live in north central West
        > Virginia. I have plenty of forage trees in the spring but am lacking
        > later plants.

        I have started a user input database on the topic on my sites. Links below
        Look for the forager database in the members links. Feel free to add your
        research and share with others.

        --
        Thanks
        Shanta McBain
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 8, 2004
          Bees forage over a large area even over a high yeilding crop they
          will fly over a Km how small is you area?

          --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "dougbwv" <dougbwv@y...> wrote:
          > Can someone pont me in the direction of a list or tell me the
          names
          > of good forage plants for a small area. I have rtead thaT ANISE
          > HYSSOP is supposed to be a very good nectar plant. are there
          others
          > that I can work into my landscape? I live in north central West
          > Virginia. I have plenty of forage trees in the spring but am
          lacking
          > later plants.
          >
          > Thanks
          > dougbwv
        • DOUG BENNETT
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 11, 2004
            I have about 1/2 acre to plant. We have pasture and woodland around us but have trouble in the july- august time period for forage. the aster and goldenrod will be blooming soon. I am trying to keep them busy as much as possible.

            don <don_nairn@...> wrote:
            Bees forage over a large area even over a high yeilding crop they
            will fly over a Km how small is you area?

            --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "dougbwv" <dougbwv@y...> wrote:
            > Can someone pont me in the direction of a list or tell me the
            names
            > of good forage plants for a small area. I have rtead thaT ANISE
            > HYSSOP is supposed to be a very good nectar plant. are there
            others
            > that I can work into my landscape? I live in north central West
            > Virginia. I have plenty of forage trees in the spring but am
            lacking
            > later plants.
            >
            > Thanks
            > dougbwv

          • david flathman
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 12, 2004
              frank pellett wrote a book called american honey plants.
              i check this book often as i see flowers blooming to check if they are a source of pollen or necter or not.

              don <don_nairn@...> wrote:
              Bees forage over a large area even over a high yeilding crop they
              will fly over a Km how small is you area?

              --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "dougbwv" <dougbwv@y...> wrote:
              > Can someone pont me in the direction of a list or tell me the
              names
              > of good forage plants for a small area. I have rtead thaT ANISE
              > HYSSOP is supposed to be a very good nectar plant. are there
              others
              > that I can work into my landscape? I live in north central West
              > Virginia. I have plenty of forage trees in the spring but am
              lacking
              > later plants.
              >
              > Thanks
              > dougbwv

              Do you Yahoo!?

            • ROBERT J STOCKLEY
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 14, 2004
                I Forget how this string started but...Aug/Sept is the time to plant Crocus. That is one of your very early spring pollen sources. It can be planted all through your lawn. Crocus blooms before your lawn begins growing...by the time your lawn needs mowing, the crocus are done.

                Bob Stockley
                Lagrangeville NY.

                don <don_nairn@...> wrote:
                Bees forage over a large area even over a high yeilding crop they
                will fly over a Km how small is you area?

                --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "dougbwv" <dougbwv@y...> wrote:
                > Can someone pont me in the direction of a list or tell me the
                names
                > of good forage plants for a small area. I have rtead thaT ANISE
                > HYSSOP is supposed to be a very good nectar plant. are there
                others
                > that I can work into my landscape? I live in north central West
                > Virginia. I have plenty of forage trees in the spring but am
                lacking
                > later plants.
                >
                > Thanks
                > dougbwv

                Do you Yahoo!?

                Do you Yahoo!?

              • davidbrowder
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 19, 2004
                  So there's been this big empty field across the creek from me, bout 300 yards away. It would grow up pretty thick with blackberry bushes, aster, goldenrod and such. Then the owner would have it bushhogged and it would grow up all over again. No telling how many buckets of honey I got out of that field over the decades. Now there's this big government building going up there, paved parking lot, big night lights, absolutely nothing good what so ever. But hey, adapt or die. Been sneaking over with 5 pound bags of white Dutch Clover seed, if they do a good job watering, fertilizing and mowing I just might pull a couple more buckets out of that "field".
[...]

                • Guro Dennis Servaes
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 20, 2004

                    Dec

                    Red River Gum

                    Eucalyptus camaldensis

                    100 ft. N

                    Jan - Mar

                    Sidney Blue Gum

                    Eucalyptus saligna

                    150 ft. N&P

                    Dec - Apr

                    California Bay Laurel

                    Umbellularia california

                    Palm Tree

                    Jan

                    Pussy Willow

                    Salix discolor

                    Early P

                    Feb- Mar

                    Almonds

                    Amygdalus communis

                    Blossom Mar

                    Silver Maple

                    Acer

                    Cherries

                    Apr- May

                    Black Locust

                    Robinia pseudo -acacia

                    Apr- May

                    Apples

                    Pyrus malus

                    Oranges & other Citrus

                    Apr- June

                    Sages

                    May

                    Tulip Poplar

                    Liriodendron tulipifera

                    200 ft.

                    May - June

                    Chinese Tallow

                    Sapium sebiferum

                    N&P     40 ft.

                    May - June

                    Cigar Tree

                    Catalpa sp.

                    Nectar

                    June-Oct

                    Yellow Star Thistle

                    Centaurea solstitialis

                    Alfalfa

                    Sweet Clover

                    June-July

                    Basswood

                    Tilia sp.

                    N 130 ft.

                    June- July

                    Privet

                    Ligustrum lucidum

                    15 ft.

                    June - Aug

                    Sweet Clover

                    Melilotus spp.

                    Aug-Oct

                    Mint

                    Mentha

                    Ants avoid

                    Goldenrod

                    Aster

                    Fall

                    Michaelmas Daisy

                    Aster

                    N&P

                    Fall & Winter

                    Mahonia

                    Mahonia

                    N&P

                    Winter

                    Galanthus

                    Galanthus

                    N&P

                    N= Nectar

                    P= Pollen

                    The above chart should help with selecting plants to propagate for the bees, a not too profitable idea.  It is best to find areas already thick with what the bees need.  Clean water, sanitary location, nectar, pollen, etc.  Unfortunately those places are the first to be plowed under or set fire each year.

                    A thoughtful thing to do is plant invasive  plants like black locust and purple loosestrife where apartments and shopping centers choke out nature anyway.  Think to plant trees that are tall like Eucalyptus, then shorter trees like bay laurel and black locust, lower still the bushes, like pyracantus and below that groundcovers, so that the same dirt sustains several seasons of nectar and pollen.  Dutch clover is good to mix in lawns, but make sure it has been treated to grow.  The seed cannot sprout until once frozen, and then dolomite scattered at the time the seed is spread is great for eliminating acidity in the soil which the young plants don't like.  If someone has reliable sources for many of the plants I listed above please post back.  Thanks.

                    Guro Dennis Servaes

                    http://www.dennisservaes.com/