Re: [beekeeping] Re: 4H Project

  • Judy Low
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 29, 2004
      I think Mike's advise on how to tie the comb and keep them tight using the cotton twine to the frames is fantastic. We use it here in Asia too but not tying the combs with the cotton twine. we tie them up using wire just like what we have in our ready to use frame (with foundation).
      And another thing i need to check with you is, don't you have any wild bees that can't be domesticated in your area? In Asia we have a lot of different species mainly the dorsata and florea that can't be domesticated. They just wander off in the wild. Unlike the meliffera family.
      p/s: I would want to know more about the bees's culture in western country
      Best regards,
      Judy

      Mike <mws@...> wrote:
      If you get the bees out of the wall of the shed, you must tie the comb
      into frames so that you don't loose the brood, the stored pollen, and
      the honey the colony has stored.  The way that seems best to do this is
      to make a fence on one side of the comb out of cotton twine, the fence
      having about five rows across.  On the other side of the frame you
      insert nails the same as on the other side but don't drive the nails all
      of the way in.  Once you get the comb in place in the comb you wrap the
      twine tightly just like you did on the other side thus wrapping the comb
      into the frame.  And you have to do this with all of the comb that you
      want the bees to continue using.  Over a fairly short period of time the
      bees will attach the comb into the frame and chew away the cotton
      twine.  Of course, once the bees move on to other comb constructed out
      of foundation, you pull all the combs that you tied into frames.  It
      will generally look pretty cruddy by the time you pull it too.  It won't
      be even, and some sides may stick out so that they scrape when pulled
      out of the hive body.

      Getting bees this way is not very much fun unless you're really into
      building up from scratch.  Where in TEXAS are you located?  You know
      that you always write TEXAS in capital letters, don't you?  If you are
      from the milder climate portion, then you should have no problems
      getting the colony hived this late in the season.  Just make sure that
      you feed copiously until you have about 1/2 of your hive body and a
      super filled with capped honey.  If you are in the colder climates, I
      would advise you using two hive bodies the first year and make sure that
      you feed until all of one and most of the other is filled with capped
      honey.  After the first year you will have a better idea of what you
      need to have on hand for your colonies to winter through.  Finding a
      local beekeepers' club and getting help from them is also very advisable.

      Good luck with your endeavor.  You might keep a log of all your
      activities for historical purposes.

      Mike    Located 1/2 way between Montgomery and Mobiole, Alabama

      http://mail.yahoo.com