Re: Irish Beekeeping List

  • Bruce & Joyce
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 8, 2000
      Re-posting a re-post here, but if you haven't heard, it may be of interest.
      Joyce in Peggs

      I received this article from another list but felt it was an important
      issue since we depend on the honey bee to pollinate many of the wild edibles
      we enjoy so much. I have a huge hornets nest my hubby wanted me to remove
      this winter but I hate to do this because of the impact it could have on the
      ecology here on our own place.

      When I am going out to forage I just put on long pants and long sleeves to
      protect myself from stings and insect bites for the most part, but it is
      very important not to kill these natural garden helpers. I can't remember
      which wasp it is but there is one that lays eggs on the tomato worm that
      kills them. Whenever I see one of these worms in my tomato patch covered
      with the eggs I leave it alone and just destroy the others, but even then I
      wonder what benefit they might be.

      Source: American Chemical Society (http://www.acs.org/)

      Date: Posted 9/30/99

      New Hope For Declining U.S. Honeybee Population
      Chances are, you haven't seen honeybees in your flower garden for quite some
      time. Bumblebees and carpenter bees, perhaps, but not honeybees. Parasitic
      mites have dramatically reduced the honeybee population in this country,
      wreaking havoc on commercial bee farms and threatening farmers who rely on
      bees to pollinate their crops.
      Researchers with the U. S. Department of Agriculture in Beltsville, Md.,
      report they may be able to stem the decline in the honeybee population with
      a gel containing formic acid. Writing in the Sept. 20 issue of the Journal
      of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, the researchers report that the gel
      kills 70 - 85 percent of varroa mites, which literally suck the life from
      bees by feeding on their body fluids, and 100 percent of tracheal mites,
      which live in bees' tracheae and interfere with breathing. The peer-reviewed
      journal is published by the American Chemical Society, the world's largest
      scientific society. The article was initially published on the journal's web
      site on Aug. 21.

      Produced naturally by some ants as a defense against predators, formic acid
      can be dangerous in large quantities if handled improperly. And it must be
      reapplied frequently to be effective against bee mites, according to the
      article's lead author, Jan Kochansky, Ph.D., of the USDA's Bee Research
      Laboratory in Beltsville.

      "Formic acid has been used in other countries for years to control parasitic
      mites of honeybees," says Kochansky. But until now, he says, large-scale use
      has been impractical.

      "Formic acid's mobility and corrosive properties make it dangerous to the
      user and have made bee supply companies unwilling to risk the liability
      associated with its use," according to Kochansky. "We have developed a gel
      formulation that is easier and safer to handle [than the liquid form] and
      emits formic acid vapors over two to three weeks, reducing the labor
      associated with its use."

      The varroa and tracheal mites entered the U.S. in the mid-1980s. Since then,
      they have decimated both wild and commercial bee populations.

      "Both mites now inhabit honeybee colonies in most of the country," states
      the research article. "Infestation of a honeybee colony with either mite can
      lead to loss of the colony, but colony mortality caused by the varroa mite
      can reach essentially 100 percent in temperate regions."

      Two compounds are widely used in the United States to control bee mites: the
      pesticide fluvalinate used for varroa mites and menthol used for tracheal
      mites. While menthol remains effective against tracheal mites, varroa mites
      in some regions of the United States have developed resistance to
      fluvalinate, as has already occurred in parts of Europe. "The migratory
      nature of commercial beekeeping means that this resistance will spread
      rapidly to most areas of the country," claims Kochansky. Another compound,
      coumaphos, is used in some states to help control fluvalinate-resistant
      varroa mites, he notes.

      A patent for the formic acid gel is pending; a manufacturing license has
      been issued to BetterBee, Inc. of Greenwich, N.Y. EPA registered the gel in
      August.

      Note: This story has been adapted from a news release issued by American
      Chemical Society for journalists and other members of the public. If you
      wish to quote from any part of this story, please credit American Chemical
      Society as the original source. You may also wish to include the following
      link in any citation:

      http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1999/09/990930071452.htm
    • Computer Software Solutions Ltd
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 14, 2000
        Hello All

        We now have an Irish Beekeeping List in operation which has over 110
        subscribers.

        I show below the procedures for the list.

        Sincerely

        Tom Barrett
        49 South Park
        Foxrock
        Dublin 18
        Ireland

        SUBSCRIBING TO THE LIST.

        Send an e mail to

        IrishBeekeeping-subscribe@...

        Do not put anything in the Subject or in the body of the message.

        You will obtain an acknowledgment and you will be asked to reply to it. You
        are now a subscriber.

        SENDING A MESSAGE TO EVERYBODY ON THE LIST.

        To send a message to everybody on the list, send an e mail to

        IrishBeekeeping@...

        PROCEDURES FOR VIEWING THE ARCHIVES

        Click on Member Login, Click on View List Archives and Click on Irish
        Beekeeping discussion list.
      • Computer Software Solutions Ltd
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 27 2:16 AM
          Hello All

          I show below the instructions for the Irish Beekeeping List.

          Despite its name, there are now more beekeepers on the list from outside
          Ireland than from inside Ireland. In many ways this mirrors the Irish -
          there are more of us outside Ireland that there are in Ireland!.

          This list was started with the primary purpose of getting discussion going
          on varroa, The pest was first found in Ireland in June 1998. A high
          percentage of the postings are varroa related and we have learned a lot from
          these interchanges. Most of the knowledge on varroa has come from our new
          found friends in countries with considerable experience of this pest and we
          are very grateful for the help which they have given us.

          With the recent discovery of varroa in New Zealand, the List will be of
          assistance to beekeepers in that country. At this time many New Zealand
          beekeepers have joined us.

          If you would like to join us and partake in these lively discussions, please
          see the instructions below

          PROCEDURES FOR JOINING THE LIST.

          Send an e mail to

          IrishBeekeeping-subscribe@...

          Do not put anything in the Subject or in the body of the message.

          You will obtain an acknowledgment and you will be asked to reply to it. You
          are now a subscriber. Membership of the list is completely free of charge.

          To see the archives visit http://www.listbot.com