Re: [beekeeping] 2 questions. formic acid source & queen variety ID

  • Ferguson Apiaries
    Message 1 of 7 , May 5, 2004
      In Canada we get it form some bee supply places.
      Message 2 of 7 , May 5, 2004
        Carnolian queens are much darker than Italian queens. Italians tend to be more golden in color and Carniolan workers will have dark and yellow bands. The yellow bands are not bright yellow but more subdued in color.

        Rich

        Message 3 of 7 , May 6, 2004
          how much are you pay for it? for 85% reagent grade i'm
          paying 26$ for 500mL. yikes. Not cheap.
          thanks
          matthew

          (and it looks like i have a really docile italian
          hive. the queen is a very light carmel color)

          =====
          Matthew Pollard "Racing with the wind and flirting with death
          Dept. Of Chemistry So have a cup of coffee and catch your breath"
          University of Idaho
          www.ftir.chem.uidaho.edu

        • Mike
          Message 4 of 7 , May 7, 2004
            Italians are yellow with dark strips (or not) and Carniolans are a dark
            bee, grey instead of yellow shading to charcoal. MIKE
          • Shanta McBain
            Message 5 of 7 , May 14, 2004
              On May 5, 2004 05:15 pm, Matthew wrote:
              > hi there, i have 2 questions
              > 1) where are you getting formic acid? (i'm a chemist
              > and get it from work, but where else can i get it?)

              Any large chemical supply company will have it. In the US you can use it in
              your hive but not for any spacific treatment. This will cost $250,000 or more
              to get it approved. Tell the suppler that you want it to bleach some
              concreate or someting like that. It will come in 85% and you will have to
              dilute it to 65%

              Http://mitegone.com has lots of info on the proper use of formic acid, Where
              to get it, the rules of use and the law. Blast treatments work but are had on
              your bees and brood. Constroled evaporation teratments are fare safer (for
              you and your bees) and more effective.

              --
              Thanks
              Shanta McBain
              Message 6 of 7 , May 14, 2004
                --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Shanta McBain <shanta@f...> wrote:
                > In the US you can use it in your hive but not for any spacific
                treatment..... Tell the suppler that you want it to bleach some
                concreate or someting like that.

                Since the use of formic acid may be a "gray area" it seems you are
                suggesting that deception should be used to purchase it

                Regards,
                Dick Allen