2 questions. formic acid source & queen variety ID

  • Matthew
    Message 1 of 7 , May 5, 2004
      hi there, i have 2 questions
      1) where are you getting formic acid? (i'm a chemist
      and get it from work, but where else can i get it?)

      2) how can i tell if i have a carnolian or an italian
      queen/hive? i have 1 (well, 2 if you count the new
      nuc) hive right now that is so docile. The original
      source was a swarm, which i'm told was from an italian
      hive. The queens are very very light-lighter than the
      photo on the yahoogroups web page.

      thanks
      matthew

      =====
      Matthew Pollard "Racing with the wind and flirting with death
      Dept. Of Chemistry So have a cup of coffee and catch your breath"
      University of Idaho
      www.ftir.chem.uidaho.edu

    • Ferguson Apiaries
      Message 2 of 7 , May 5, 2004
        In Canada we get it form some bee supply places.
        > 1) where are you getting formic acid? (i'm a chemist
        > and get it from work, but where else can i get it?)
        >
        > 2) how can i tell if i have a carnolian or an italian
        > queen/hive? i have 1 (well, 2 if you count the new
        > nuc) hive right now that is so docile. The original
        > source was a swarm, which i'm told was from an italian
        > hive. The queens are very very light-lighter than the
        > photo on the yahoogroups web page.
        >
        > thanks
        > matthew
        >
        > =====
        > Matthew Pollard "Racing with the wind and flirting with death
        > Dept. Of Chemistry So have a cup of coffee and catch your breath"
        > University of Idaho
        > www.ftir.chem.uidaho.edu

      • Richard Bruno
        Message 3 of 7 , May 5, 2004
          Carnolian queens are much darker than Italian queens. Italians tend to be more golden in color and Carniolan workers will have dark and yellow bands. The yellow bands are not bright yellow but more subdued in color.

          Rich

          Message 4 of 7 , May 6, 2004
            how much are you pay for it? for 85% reagent grade i'm
            paying 26$ for 500mL. yikes. Not cheap.
            thanks
            matthew

            (and it looks like i have a really docile italian
            hive. the queen is a very light carmel color)

            =====
            Matthew Pollard "Racing with the wind and flirting with death
            Dept. Of Chemistry So have a cup of coffee and catch your breath"
            University of Idaho
            www.ftir.chem.uidaho.edu

          • Mike
            Message 5 of 7 , May 7, 2004
              Italians are yellow with dark strips (or not) and Carniolans are a dark
              bee, grey instead of yellow shading to charcoal. MIKE
            • Shanta McBain
              Message 6 of 7 , May 14, 2004
                On May 5, 2004 05:15 pm, Matthew wrote:
                > hi there, i have 2 questions
                > 1) where are you getting formic acid? (i'm a chemist
                > and get it from work, but where else can i get it?)

                Any large chemical supply company will have it. In the US you can use it in
                your hive but not for any spacific treatment. This will cost $250,000 or more
                to get it approved. Tell the suppler that you want it to bleach some
                concreate or someting like that. It will come in 85% and you will have to
                dilute it to 65%

                Http://mitegone.com has lots of info on the proper use of formic acid, Where
                to get it, the rules of use and the law. Blast treatments work but are had on
                your bees and brood. Constroled evaporation teratments are fare safer (for
                you and your bees) and more effective.

                --
                Thanks
                Shanta McBain
                Message 7 of 7 , May 14, 2004
                  --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Shanta McBain <shanta@f...> wrote:
                  > In the US you can use it in your hive but not for any spacific
                  treatment..... Tell the suppler that you want it to bleach some
                  concreate or someting like that.

                  Since the use of formic acid may be a "gray area" it seems you are
                  suggesting that deception should be used to purchase it

                  Regards,
                  Dick Allen