Package Bees

  • AlphaBat@aol.com
    Message 1 of 40 , May 25, 1999
      I am looking for some advice.

      I hived a new 3# package of bees on May 1st.

      I checked on them again this weekend and saw the queen but no evidence of
      laying activity except for a few capped drone cells.

      They have drawn out only about 4 frames -- and those only about half the
      frames.

      I have been feeding them sugar syrup.

      I live in the Berkshires and it is still gets cold at night -- in the high
      forty's or low fifty's. Is this retarding the egg laying, or should I
      suspect something is wrong.

      My friend who hived a package the same day down in Stamford CT (where it has
      been warmer) has capped brood, larvae, eggs. And 7-8 out of 10 of the frames
      in his first brood chamber are drawn out.

      I have seen the queen all three weekends when I have gone into the hive.
      They are bringing in nectar and pollen and have what comb they have drawn out
      filled with capped honey, pollen, and uncapped nectar.

      Anyone have any thoughts or reassurances.

      Bruce
    • mdudley
      Message 40 of 40 , Aug 30, 2015
        That is correct.  It is more difficult than one might think, especially working in woods.  You can find feral hives by beelining, and as often non feral hives.  But to find out if an area has feral hives, and how far they are, would take a week of beelining.  And telling if a hive is about to swarm is easy, for a movable frame hive.  But determining if a feral hive is about to swarm would be I think near impossible.

        Marshall

        The way to find the location of feral bees is a process called beelining:  http://northernwoodlands.org/articles/article/bee-lining-the-oldtimers-way-to-find-wild-beehives