Re: [beekeeping] Bees vs. Hornets

  • davidbrowder
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 9, 2004
      Got lots of forests and open fields around and there seems to be yellow jackets, hornets, and honeybees in abundance. They get along together just fine. Get on down to South Georgia where they breed bees for the up North market and you'll see Yellow Jackets to the point you'll be afraid to picnic out in the open (Was at this outdoor festival in very rural South Georgia one late summer, the kitchen/picnic area was so yellow jacket infested that one could HEAR em!! There were a few honeybees mixed in there but they were a minority. Remember  the "locals" thought I was silly being afraid, and me a beekeeper, shame!! by the next day I was brushing Yellow Jackets away like flies.)............................................Never lived in a place where there were no honeybees but I've certainly seen populations ebb and flow.More honeybees means less pollen and nectar for the original insects. The idea that keeping bees is good for the balance of nature is pert much self justifying. Course that's just the view from here.