COURSE I CAUGHT IT

  • davidbrowder
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 26, 2004
      And down in North Carolina my hives threw their first swarm O bout 11 AM.
    • david flathman
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 29, 2004
        here i charleston sc, me too
        thank you russians. my first experience with russians
        and my first experience with swarms. i open the hives
        and they each have numerous queen cells.
        what a glorious sight, to see a bunch of bees swirling
        around and you realize that is what a swarm looks
        like.

        spring.

        --- davidbrowder <davidbrowder@...> wrote:
        > And down in North Carolina my hives threw their
        > first swarm O bout 11 AM.

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
      • davidbrowder
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 29, 2004
          Yeah the first swarm or so is really neat. After that it gets sorta demoralizing to see your honey production sinking with each swarm. Went looking through a couple of hives today, maybe that early swarm was a fluke. Time will tell if the timing's right on feeding/buildup to spring/blooms.
          thank you russians. my first experience with russians
          and my first experience with swarms. i open the hives
          and they each have numerous queen cells.
          what a glorious sight, to see a bunch of bees swirling
          around and you realize that is what a swarm looks
          like.

          spring.

          --- davidbrowder <davidbrowder@...> wrote:
          > And down in North Carolina my hives threw their
          > first swarm O bout 11 AM.

          http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
        • Mike
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 30, 2004
            David,
            You said that your Russians swarmed on you. You now will probably
            have a problem with the hive that was left behind in that any queens
            raised by this hive, while Russian, will not be providing Russian
            progeny. I'm guessing that the predominant variety of bees in your area
            are Italians, maybe Caucasians. The Russian queen produced from your
            hive that swarmed will in all probability mate with the drones from
            these varieties and will thus be a crossbreed, not true Russians. To
            preclude this occurance you need to order a replacement queen from the
            source of your original purchase. Now comes the hard part. You have to
            introduce the newly purchased queen into the old established hive. Get
            help here. MIKE
          • david flathman
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 30, 2004
              "swarming" by snellgrove.
              a really good read on the causes and steps to deter
              the urge to swarm.

              david

              --- davidbrowder <davidbrowder@...> wrote:
              > Yeah the first swarm or so is really neat. After
              > that it gets sorta demoralizing to see your honey
              > production sinking with each swarm. Went looking
              > through a couple of hives today, maybe that early
              > swarm was a fluke. Time will tell if the timing's
              > right on feeding/buildup to spring/blooms.

            • ROBERT J STOCKLEY
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 30, 2004
                Don't get too discouraged...I've heard some good things about Italian/russian Crossbreeds. And...Go hunt down that swarm. LOL.

                Mike <mws@...> wrote:
                David,
                You said that your Russians swarmed on you. You now will probably
                have a problem with the hive that was left behind in that any queens
                raised by this hive, while Russian, will not be providing Russian
                progeny. I'm guessing that the predominant variety of bees in your area
                are Italians, maybe Caucasians. The Russian queen produced from your
                hive that swarmed will in all probability mate with the drones from
                these varieties and will thus be a crossbreed, not true Russians. To
                preclude this occurance you need to order a replacement queen from the
                source of your original purchase. Now comes the hard part. You have to
                introduce the newly purchased queen into the old established hive. Get
                help here. MIKE

                http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/MwgrlB/TM

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                Do you Yahoo!?
              • davidbrowder
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 30, 2004
                  Read it, a pretty good book. Give em lots and lots of space. Got 2 of those Snellgrove boards (BetterBee), never had any luck with em though. When bees take a mind to swarm sometimes it seems impossible to stop . Had three hives that looked VERY VERY healthy, like it would be a sure bet they'd be swarm material later on. So I pulled one frame of partially uncapped brood from each hive and put em in 2 frame nuc boxes. Put an empty frame beside the broodframe, shook a bunch more bees on top of em and closed it up. That ought to take a little pressure off things!!  Might be pushing the spring weather (If it gets too cold the brood'll die) a bit though.