Re: New to list-Questions

  • bobbees@xxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 1999
      Hello Ann,
      I am on my forth year as a Beekeeper. I work with a fella who had been a
      beekeeper for 15 years before I came along. We use 4.9 cm. comb and 1/4
      of a eye dropperof Tea tree essential oil mixed in sugar water to feed
      them. This is taking a real good toll on the tracheal mites. We also put
      mineral oil on a paper towel and place it in the door way so the bees
      have to cross it to go in and out. This kills the varroa mites. The 4.9
      cm. comb also helps with the varroa mites. We switched over to the 4.9
      last winter and a lot of major commercial beekeepers have went to the 4.9
      comb too. I had to try it for myself to know if it would work. I have
      great results the way we are treating our colonies.
      Besides all them strong chemicals are bad for us humans . If bad for us,
      it has to be bad for the bees.
      God Bless,
      Bob
      For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not
      ashamed:
      for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep
      that
      which I have commited unto him against that day. 2 Timothy 1:12

      Bob & Teresa Butcher

    • ann fisher
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 1999
        Bob and Teresa,
        Thanks for the information! Where do you get the 4.9cm. foundation?
        How often do you feed your bees the Tea Tree Oil in sugar water? Do you
        leave the paper towel with the mineral oil on it at the doorway all the
        time? Thanks again!

        Ann
        PA

      • bobbees@xxxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 6, 1999
          Hello Ann,
          I get my 4.9 comb from Ed and Dee Lusby here in Tucson Arizona.Here is
          their e-mail address.
          deelusbybeekeeper@...
          You can write to them and they can tell you who is close to you who uses
          the 4.9 comb.She is the President of the Southern Arizona Bee
          Association.

          We feed the bees the T T oil when we feed them in the early spring to get
          them stimulated into laying more brood.
          When we catch a swarm and hive it we usually feed them. At any time that
          we need to feed a starving hive they get a little.

          We put the paper towel in the door way to make them cross it .
          The bees will eat up the paper towel. If you treat the bees in the fall
          and in the spring , it will give them a little head start against the
          mites.DO NOT TREAT WITH TEA-TREE OR ANY OTHER MENTHOL OIL WHEN; 1. two
          weeks before making the divides. 2. for about three weeks after the queen
          starts laying. If you do the bees will more than likely will lose the
          queen. The queen's smell will be covered up by the menthol smell. We have
          had the bees turn on the queen and supersede her.We work with the Italian
          and the African , and whatever is in the area.