Re: [beekeeping] sucrocide

  • Nick Emeric
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 14, 2004
      I know just a few people trying to go chem free I WAS one of them. with three colonies 2000 no chem all ok, 2001 no chems some varroa all ok, 2002 some varroa no chems all dead, 2003 checkmite in fall so far one dead two ok. going to try screen bottoms this season and sucrocide if it seems promising. if not, checkmite in the fall.

      Maybe I need to clarify this a little..............That was a comment on the whole ball of wax. Formic acid and sticky bottom boards and smaller cell size foundation and drone cell foundation that you pullout and put in the freezer and and and and. Haven't heard anything about the Sucrose Octanoate yet (Another section 18er I'll bet.).  There seems to be a lot of money and effort going into staying chemical free and I certainly applaude this, I'm just questioning whether or not it works. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,And that's why I threw in the question, I know there's a lot of people out there not putting in the strips, Apistan or Checkmite.  Now how many YEARS  have you done it that way?? As for myself, I've been very by the book and put Apistan strips in every fall for six weeks. It's worked like a charm for years but if there's another way to kill mites other than putting an insecticide in there....
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 15, 2004
        David Browder said:  Haven't heard anything about the Sucrose Octanoate yet (Another section 18er I'll bet.).

        No section 18.  It's already on the market being listed in both of this year's Mann Lake and Dadant supply catalogs.  It is rather labor intensive, but as the effectiveness is proven, I imagine there will be some ingenious beekeepers out there that will devise ways to minimize the labor efforts.  Got a few ideas myself.   MIKE
      • Martin Hickey
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 16, 2004
          Nick -

          Sucroside has just become available this year on the market, so we will all be putting together the experiance base this year.

          Martin
          Bowling Green, KY.

          Nick <nicke153@...> wrote:
          Hi to everyone
          I am a newbee just three years with three hives and really
          just began my battle against varroa last fall. I did not have a
          problem the first year and a total lost the second and a fair amount
          of varroa the third. I am trying screened bottoms this year.
          my question is with a new product being carried by dadant called
          sucrocide. does anyone have an experience with this or have any
          insight? like everyone, I would love to be able to keep my hives
          chemical free but,it seems impossible. this product poses some hope
          in that direction against varroa.
          good luck to everyone as spring and the first inspection is coming
          for some of us.
          Nick Emeric in NJ
          nicke153@...

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • Martin Hickey
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 16, 2004
            David , Nick, et al...

            I tried the no chem route this last year with good success - SBB, FGMO, 4.9mm, Grease Patties, etc.  My great results were 80% of my colonies went into the late fall with very little mites.  The other 20% of them were weak and had a problem, so I treated with check mite.  My point is that organic is the goal, but along the way don't compramise.  When it's not working, treat and regroup and pick up from your successes.  The most important thing that I gained from working with no chems is that I had to pay alot closer attention to my bees, which is probably why I had the good luck that I did.

            Martin
            Bowling Green, KY