From same person as the Saga

  • bobbees@xxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 1999
      Just a quick note about SHBeetles. No one has a problem in colonies
      except,
      when a population of beetles grow in another medium. Beekeepers and
      farmers
      are finding they grow better in figs, banana's, muskmelons, they love
      strawberries, on boat docks on crab traps,,etc. The first find in GA
      was at
      GA State farmers market in Atlanta on fruits and veggies. Then checked
      the
      area and only found one positive find in a beekeepers observation hive
      1/2
      mile from market and no other finds. So did the beetles come from the
      single
      observation colony to infect the market or did the market infect the
      hive.
      The beekeeper had not moved nor bought any bees or equipment for about 8

      years. Last summer the worse beetles were frond in muskmelon fields,
      this
      fall one beekeeper from Lakeland told me he had no SHB in his bees but
      noticed his figs had small holes in fruit, opened the and hundreds of
      beetles
      in each one, he took the beetles to an inspection and was the SHB. When
      the
      fruit dropped to the ground he lost 7 out of 8 colonies under the fig
      trees
      in one week the only colony left was a Buckfast queen. You cut open a
      muskmelon and hundreds beetles run out. Now finding SHB in banana's in

      supermarkets. NO quarantine as yet on fruits and veggies leaving SE US,
      what
      a shame!!!!!

      For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not
      ashamed:
      for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep
      that
      which I have commited unto him against that day. 2 Timothy 1:12

      Bob & Teresa Butcher