Re: [beekeeping] bookstore

  • mnist@spamcop.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 16, 2003
      Rick, It sounds like you're getting into beekeeping for the same reason I did:
      for the fun! :)

      Also take a look at this bulletin board on beesource.com
      <http://www.beesource.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro>

      They have a search feature so if you want to find discussion on wax moths or
      best equipment for beginners you can find it fast and easy.

      I'd say beesource is one of the best places on the web for learning about
      beekeeping. You'll also enjoy the interesting personalities and plain good
      people that post there.

      --Madeleine in NJ

      I'm not going to
    • kenwilso@bellsouth.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 16, 2003
        Beginning beekeeper here and I will be styarting in the spring also.
        I live in middle Georgia.
        I plan to get most of my equipment from Mann Lake. I've done price
        comparisons and they came out the cheapest. They have a good bee suit
        for $53.00, complete. I will be getting two complete hives in April
        from my brother-in-law, so all I will need at this point is just
        handling equipment.
        I will be making my own woodenware and pretty much have decided to
        use mediums with Permacomb for my supers and keep two deeps year
        round for brood.
        I can't wait to get started! Good luck with yours.

        --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "truck61385" <truck61385@y...>
        wrote:
        > Thanks David and Robert for your book recomendations. I will be
        > heading to Barnes and Noble this week sometime to see what i can
        > find. Did a search last night online and found some interesting
        > articles. Seems like there is more to this than first meets the
        > eye. I want to get started the next season so i guess I have no
        time
        > to waste. I live in North Mississippi and I'm not sure what month
        is
        > the right one to start but I'll be finding out soon.
        > I haven't started shopping yet, anyone have an estimation on how
        much
        > it takes to get started. Bees, hives, suit, etc. I'm not going to
        > be big, just enough to enjoy the hobby and make honey for my
        friends.
        > thanks,
        > rick
      • Martin Hickey
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 16, 2003
          Two good books to start with are: The Hive & the Honey Bee & Beekeeping for Dummies.

          Martin
          Bowling Green, KY

          truck61385 <truck61385@...> wrote:
          Thanks David and Robert for your book recomendations.  I will be
          heading to Barnes and Noble this week sometime to see what i can
          find.  Did a search last night online and found some interesting
          articles.  Seems like there is more to this than first meets the
          eye.  I want to get started the next season so i guess I have no time
          to waste.  I live in North Mississippi and I'm not sure what month is
          the right one to start but I'll be finding out soon.
          I haven't started shopping yet, anyone have an estimation on how much
          it takes to get started.  Bees, hives, suit, etc.  I'm not going to
          be big, just enough to enjoy the hobby and make honey for my friends.
          thanks,
          rick

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • ROBERT J STOCKLEY
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 21, 2003
            kNOWING NOW WHAT i WISH i KNEW WHEN i STARTED...I would get all Small cell foundation for the brood chambers...4.9cm. I would start in March...Feeding lots of Sugar water 1:1...And I would get Pollen substitute and put it in right away (same time as Sugarwater starts).

            Good luck..

            truck61385 <truck61385@...> wrote:
            Thanks David and Robert for your book recomendations. I will be
            heading to Barnes and Noble this week sometime to see what i can
            find. Did a search last night online and found some interesting
            articles. Seems like there is more to this than first meets the
            eye. I want to get started the next season so i guess I have no time
            to waste. I live in North Mississippi and I'm not sure what month is
            the right one to start but I'll be finding out soon.
            I haven't started shopping yet, anyone have an estimation on how much
            it takes to get started. Bees, hives, suit, etc. I'm not going to
            be big, just enough to enjoy the hobby and make honey for my friends.
            thanks,
            rick

            http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
            http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/MwgrlB/TM

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • davidbrowder
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 16, 2004
              Another good place to check out,      Beekeepers Web Links
              Rick, It sounds like you're getting into beekeeping for the same reason I did:
              for the fun! :)

              Also take a look at this bulletin board on beesource.com
              <http://www.beesource.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro>

              They have a search feature so if you want to find discussion on wax moths or
              best equipment for beginners you can find it fast and easy.

              I'd say beesource is one of the best places on the web for learning about
              beekeeping. You'll also enjoy the interesting personalities and plain good
              people that post there.

              --Madeleine in NJ

              Quoting truck61385 <truck61385@...>:
              I'm not going to
              >  be big, just enough to enjoy the hobby and make honey for my
              > friends.
              >  thanks,
              >  rick

              Yahoo! Groups Links