bookstore

  • truck61385
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 15, 2003
      Thanks David and Robert for your book recomendations. I will be
      heading to Barnes and Noble this week sometime to see what i can
      find. Did a search last night online and found some interesting
      articles. Seems like there is more to this than first meets the
      eye. I want to get started the next season so i guess I have no time
      to waste. I live in North Mississippi and I'm not sure what month is
      the right one to start but I'll be finding out soon.
      I haven't started shopping yet, anyone have an estimation on how much
      it takes to get started. Bees, hives, suit, etc. I'm not going to
      be big, just enough to enjoy the hobby and make honey for my friends.
      thanks,
      rick
    • mnist@spamcop.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 16, 2003
        Rick, It sounds like you're getting into beekeeping for the same reason I did:
        for the fun! :)

        Also take a look at this bulletin board on beesource.com
        <http://www.beesource.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro>

        They have a search feature so if you want to find discussion on wax moths or
        best equipment for beginners you can find it fast and easy.

        I'd say beesource is one of the best places on the web for learning about
        beekeeping. You'll also enjoy the interesting personalities and plain good
        people that post there.

        --Madeleine in NJ

      • kenwilso@bellsouth.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 16, 2003
          Beginning beekeeper here and I will be styarting in the spring also.
          I live in middle Georgia.
          I plan to get most of my equipment from Mann Lake. I've done price
          comparisons and they came out the cheapest. They have a good bee suit
          for $53.00, complete. I will be getting two complete hives in April
          from my brother-in-law, so all I will need at this point is just
          handling equipment.
          I will be making my own woodenware and pretty much have decided to
          use mediums with Permacomb for my supers and keep two deeps year
          round for brood.
          I can't wait to get started! Good luck with yours.

          --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "truck61385" <truck61385@y...>
          wrote:
          > Thanks David and Robert for your book recomendations. I will be
          > heading to Barnes and Noble this week sometime to see what i can
          > find. Did a search last night online and found some interesting
          > articles. Seems like there is more to this than first meets the
          > eye. I want to get started the next season so i guess I have no
          time
          > to waste. I live in North Mississippi and I'm not sure what month
          is
          > the right one to start but I'll be finding out soon.
          > I haven't started shopping yet, anyone have an estimation on how
          much
          > it takes to get started. Bees, hives, suit, etc. I'm not going to
          > be big, just enough to enjoy the hobby and make honey for my
          friends.
          > thanks,
          > rick
        • Martin Hickey
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 16, 2003
            Two good books to start with are: The Hive & the Honey Bee & Beekeeping for Dummies.

            Martin
            Bowling Green, KY

            truck61385 <truck61385@...> wrote:
            Thanks David and Robert for your book recomendations.  I will be
            heading to Barnes and Noble this week sometime to see what i can
            find.  Did a search last night online and found some interesting
            articles.  Seems like there is more to this than first meets the
            eye.  I want to get started the next season so i guess I have no time
            to waste.  I live in North Mississippi and I'm not sure what month is
            the right one to start but I'll be finding out soon.
            I haven't started shopping yet, anyone have an estimation on how much
            it takes to get started.  Bees, hives, suit, etc.  I'm not going to
            be big, just enough to enjoy the hobby and make honey for my friends.
            thanks,
            rick

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • ROBERT J STOCKLEY
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 21, 2003
              kNOWING NOW WHAT i WISH i KNEW WHEN i STARTED...I would get all Small cell foundation for the brood chambers...4.9cm. I would start in March...Feeding lots of Sugar water 1:1...And I would get Pollen substitute and put it in right away (same time as Sugarwater starts).

              Good luck..

              truck61385 <truck61385@...> wrote:
              Thanks David and Robert for your book recomendations. I will be
              heading to Barnes and Noble this week sometime to see what i can
              find. Did a search last night online and found some interesting
              articles. Seems like there is more to this than first meets the
              eye. I want to get started the next season so i guess I have no time
              to waste. I live in North Mississippi and I'm not sure what month is
              the right one to start but I'll be finding out soon.
              I haven't started shopping yet, anyone have an estimation on how much
              it takes to get started. Bees, hives, suit, etc. I'm not going to
              be big, just enough to enjoy the hobby and make honey for my friends.
              thanks,
              rick

              http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
              http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/MwgrlB/TM

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Do you Yahoo!?

            • davidbrowder
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 16, 2004
                Another good place to check out,      Beekeepers Web Links
                Rick, It sounds like you're getting into beekeeping for the same reason I did:
                for the fun! :)

                Also take a look at this bulletin board on beesource.com
                <http://www.beesource.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro>

                They have a search feature so if you want to find discussion on wax moths or
                best equipment for beginners you can find it fast and easy.

                I'd say beesource is one of the best places on the web for learning about
                beekeeping. You'll also enjoy the interesting personalities and plain good
                people that post there.

                --Madeleine in NJ

                Quoting truck61385 <truck61385@...>:
                I'm not going to
                >  be big, just enough to enjoy the hobby and make honey for my
                > friends.
                >  thanks,
                >  rick

                Yahoo! Groups Links