wire floors and winter

  • airact
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2003
      This year we put wire floors on the hives for the first time.It
      helped with the control of varoa. Do you leave the floors open during
      winter, or close them and risk the problems of dampness in the hive ?
      tia
    • Martin Rebane
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2003
        I leave them open ofcourse. Hives with open floors winter so much better,
        cause there's enough air circulation to keep the moisture away.

        The cold does not scare bees, if anyone considers that an issue. But
        dampness kills them easily.

        Martin

        On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 03:33:27 -0000, airact <airact@...> wrote:
        > This year we put wire floors on the hives for the first time.It
        > helped with the control of varoa. Do you leave the floors open during
        > winter, or close them and risk the problems of dampness in the hive ?
        > tia

      • davidbrowder