stronger stings

  • toad08551
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 22, 2014
      What is the difference in the potency of the stings? I can get 10 stings some days and one or two will sting more like a burn. And maybe 0 out of ten will cause swelling.  today i was checking hives in 3 of my yards, mostly i only put on a veil and only wear gloves if i have a really testy hive. a couple today got a lil upset and i got maybe 12 -15 stings today. only 2 , one on my arm and one on back of hand swelled.
       Also got nailed by a yellow jacket when getting my smoker fuel and that still burns after 6hrs. don't even like them critters LOL. made a nest in barrel i have my pine needles in. roger NJ

    • Sherill Ryan
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 23, 2014
        Well, I am not sure if this is correct or just bee lore but I have been told that it depends on the amount of fatty tissue you have in the area you get stung. So the stings on the back of your hand would sting more than say getting stung in your thigh (at least in my case.) It made sense to me because I know fat doesn't have blood supply like muscle. Whenever I have a painful sting it is hands, face, ankles. They also happen to be the thinnest parts of my body.

        Someone else once told me that the older the bee, the less potent the sting. I have never read that anywhere to validate whether it is true or not.

        On Friday, August 22, 2014 5:20 PM, "toad08551@... [Beekeeping]" <Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        What is the difference in the potency of the stings? I can get 10 stings some days and one or two will sting more like a burn. And maybe 0 out of ten will cause swelling.  today i was checking hives in 3 of my yards, mostly i only put on a veil and only wear gloves if i have a really testy hive. a couple today got a lil upset and i got maybe 12 -15 stings today. only 2 , one on my arm and one on back of hand swelled.
         Also got nailed by a yellow jacket when getting my smoker fuel and that still burns after 6hrs. don't even like them critters LOL. made a nest in barrel i have my pine needles in. roger NJ

      • Al
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 23, 2014
          See this url for answer to what is the difference between a honey bee
          sting and a yellow jacket sting ?
          http://www.answers.com/Q/How_is_a_yellow-jacket_different_from_a_honey_bee