How did everyone fair this year?

  • Marc & Jess
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 18, 2003
      We closed up our two hives for the winter. Actually just one.
      Started the two hives in May and the one just never took off - we
      tried feeding, moving the hive - nothing. The other only put on a
      medium of honey so hopefully it's enough to get them through the
      winter.

      The one that didn't product very well was gone when we opened the
      hive - no honey, no pollen, nothing. I didn't know there was
      a "slacker" strain of bees until now.

      Just wondering how everyone else did.

      Marc and Jessica
      Bluebird Hill Apiaries
    • mnist@spamcop.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 18, 2003
        You're asking a first-year beekeeper how I did? ok then

        The good news is that both hives are still alive and seem to be doing well. I
        had at least one swarm back in June which pretty much cleaned out the ranks
        until they could build up again.

        Honey? naaah. I didn't expect any this year, but I'm glad to say that it looks
        like the bees have enough to hold them through the winter. If not, I bought
        some top feeders to get them through.

        Here's the blog, complete with photos. Always glad to get comments and advice
        from people:
        <http://www.blackcatnetworkhelp.net/beeblog.aspx>

        --Madeleine in NJ

        Quoting Marc & Jess <wachter73@...>:

        > We closed up our two hives for the winter. Actually just one.
        > Started the two hives in May and the one just never took off - we
        > tried feeding, moving the hive - nothing. The other only put on a
        > medium of honey so hopefully it's enough to get them through the
        > winter.
        >
        > The one that didn't product very well was gone when we opened the
        > hive - no honey, no pollen, nothing. I didn't know there was
        > a "slacker" strain of bees until now.
        >
        > Just wondering how everyone else did.
        >
        > Marc and Jessica
        > Bluebird Hill Apiaries
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      • Shanta McBain
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 18, 2003
          On November 18, 2003 05:13, Marc & Jess wrote:
          > We closed up our two hives for the winter. Actually just one.
          > Started the two hives in May and the one just never took off - we
          > tried feeding, moving the hive - nothing. The other only put on a
          > medium of honey so hopefully it's enough to get them through the
          > winter.
          >
          > The one that didn't product very well was gone when we opened the
          > hive - no honey, no pollen, nothing. I didn't know there was
          > a "slacker" strain of bees until now.

          They may have been diseased. That disease in now in your other if if they had
          anything. The strong hive likely raided the week one to the point of it
          death. I the hive had AFB the spores are now in your good hive. You should
          inspect both carefully for disease.

          Some queens though are just duds. This can be for a variety of reasons. Bad
          genetics, bad mating. She may have been damaged in transit and just not able
          to get around fast enough for proper laying.

          For more support check out my site. http://shanta.org/apis The site is going
          though a major upgrade to accommodate the tightening rules about stile
          sheets. The gecko engine that runs Netscape and Mozilla no longer accepts cgi
          style style sheets. So the twenty or sites I host are getting upgraded to
          meet the new restriction. They are also getting upgraded to meet HTML 4
          standards. This means some pages may be broken html wise and some
          applications my not display the style of the site you are at.

          Hope it will be of help to you.
          --
          Thanks
          Shanta McBain
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 18, 2003
            In answer to your question  my bees on Ohio did terrible this year.  No honey.
            This is the first bad year I have experienced in a long time.  Must have been all the coo wet weather.

            Marc & Jess <wachter73@...> wrote:
            We closed up our two hives for the winter. Actually just one.
            Started the two hives in May and the one just never took off - we
            tried feeding, moving the hive - nothing.  The other only put on a
            medium of honey so hopefully it's enough to get them through the
            winter.

            The one that didn't product very well was gone when we opened the
            hive - no honey, no pollen, nothing. I didn't know there was
            a "slacker" strain of bees until now.

            Just wondering how everyone else did.

            Marc and Jessica
            Bluebird Hill Apiaries

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • Wayne Chesley
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 19, 2003
              "Marc & Jess" wrote:

              > Just wondering how everyone else did.

              After a swarm problem in the spring (which I managed to hive) the
              bees settled in and built up prety nicely. The hive that didn't
              swarm has two full supers (and a bit in a shallow super) to get
              through the winter. The re-captured swarm has almost two full supers
              and the mother hive of the swarm is about the same. I battled verroa
              mites in the early fall, and have been feeding the "weaker" hives.

              I think they'll make it pretty well through the winter. The hives
              are wrapped and on blocks and protected from the winds, with
              ventilation / entrance holes near the top.

              A few observations from a newbie:

              Duragilt foundation stinks. The bees won't build anywhere on it that
              has lost the wax coating. I ended up with some pretty messed up
              brood frames. Plasticell foundation is superb. I have black and
              white, the black is great for brood, as you can very clearly see the
              eggs.

              Keep an empty hive on hand, even if it is your first year and you
              are using packaged bees you may still get a swarm.

              Boardman feeders don't hold up. Plastic feeders that fit into the
              entrance (I don't recall the brand) are pretty good.

              Watch for mites!

              Don't expect to extract anything your first year.

              Don't think your normally calm bees with be calm the morning you
              find paw prints on the front of their hive!

              Ya, bees sting, but you do get used to it.

              Wayne in Maine
            • Marc & Jess
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 19, 2003
                Wayne,

                Just curious what strains you are keeping.

                Thanks,
                Marc
              • Wayne Chesley
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 20, 2003
                  "Marc & Jess" <wachter73@y...> wrote:
                  > Wayne,

                  > Just curious what strains you are keeping.

                  Italians. I bought two packages in the spring and started them in
                  brand new hives. I'm probably going to re-queen with Carniolans next
                  year.

                  Wayne