Beekeeper lost apiary in fire

  • washingtonbeewoman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 20, 2014
      Rob Jenkins posted this on a beekeeping page on facebook:

      Hi I know that you folks are quite a ways away. I am in Lewis County. I ask that you please read this and maybe you might be able to help with my effort here.
      OK friends. I am going to try to do something and I may be taking on too much but. Please read this story. http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fhoneyfiend.com%2Fapiary-profile-cougar-canyon-apiaries-malott-wa%2F&h=HAQFdzH8L . I have been informed he lost his home, entire apiary and bee business. The man is a fellow beekeeper. I must try to help. While I know it is way too early to do anything. In a few days I will be attempting contact. I am going to offer to give him some of my hives complete. I already have transportation arranged. While my few hives may not be much I know that every little bit can help him get up and running again. I would like to think that there may be a few others willing to help too.

      I'm going to take it to my local beekeeping group and hope you will pass this around. It'd be great if state beekeepers could get this beekeeper some bees.
      Denise

    • kirkdehaan
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 21, 2014
        I applaud the offer but wonder if it is prudent to try and raise bees in an area that has been burned clear of any vegetation.  It will be a few years before much grows back.

        Kirk
      • Pat Gentry
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 21, 2014
          Kirk,
          Good Point!  I'd like to help the beekeeper in any case...his life will have to get back on some track!
          I noticed he sells tasting honeys, so maybe he will go on with that business.  But he'll still need a home.
          All best, Pat

          On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 6:47 AM, captkirk@... [Beekeeping] <Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          I applaud the offer but wonder if it is prudent to try and raise bees in an area that has been burned clear of any vegetation.  It will be a few years before much grows back.

          Kirk

        • mdudley
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 21, 2014
            That is generally not correct.  The amount and diversity of wildflowers explodes after a wildfire.  See Fire Followers: Dazzling display of plants to follow California wildfires

            for an article on this.

            Marshall